[SOLVED] Question about junk filtering

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
tomdkat

[SOLVED] Question about junk filtering

Post by tomdkat »

Hi! A friend of mine is using Thunderbird 52.8.0, Outlook 2016 (I think) and Apple Mail, on her iPhone, to access her business email account. Thunderbird and Outlook are both running on two different laptops, each running Windows 10. Her business email account is hosted by her website host. Both Thunderbird and Outlook use IMAP to access the email account and I think Mail on her iPhone does as well. I believe she has an iPhone 7 but I'm not sure which version of iOS she's running.

Anyway, she recently told me after she read a message I sent her, she can't find it in her inbox in Thunderbird. She read the message I sent her on her iPhone. So, I know the message got delivered to her ok and I know it made it to her inbox ok.

I logged in to her email account, using the web-based interface, and discovered the message I sent her was not in her inbox but was in the "Junk" folder instead. At this point, I'm trying to figure out how my message (and several others) got flagged as junk.

Mail server: the mail server we're using does support SpamAssassin, but I haven't enabled it yet. I was thinking of doing so, but it would be cumbersome to deal with false positives since I would have to login to the server to adjust the SpamAssassin settings.

So, either Thunderbird is flagging the messages as junk or Outlook is. Sometimes she does run Thunderbird and Outlook, at the same time, despite my advising her not to do so (to avoid conflicts). I do have Thunderbird's adaptive junk filtering enabled, in both Thunderbird installations, but I don't think she's trained the filter at all (meaning I don't think she's manually flagged messages spam, etc).

My question: with Thunderbird's stock/default junk filtering function, is there any way to tell if Thunderbird flagged the messages as junk and moved them to the junk folder? I'll have to check what behavior I set-up for what Thunderbird does with mail it determines to be junk. Outside of that, does Thunderbird "tag" or "flag" the messages it deems are junk, in some way, such that I can determine if Thunderbird flagged the messages as junk?

Thanks in advance!

Peace...

Tom
Last edited by tomdkat on June 9th, 2018, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Question about junk filtering

Post by DanRaisch »

Thunderbird does have logging capability associated with the Junk Mail Controls but it is not active by default. Find that option (under Win 10) using menu path Tools->Options->Security->Junk->select "Enable adaptive Junk filter logging".

As for those messages already filtered, be sure to go into the Junk folder and mark then as "Not Junk" by selecting the message and pressing the "N" key, or right clicking on the message and selecting Mark->As not Junk.
tomdkat

Re: Question about junk filtering

Post by tomdkat »

Awesomeness!!!! Thanks for the info!

Peace...

Tom
DanRaisch

Re: [SOLVED] Question about junk filtering

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Note that to view the log results you may need to enlarge the size of the log dialog box.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

Thanks for the additional information. One question about enabling logging. If there are multiple email accounts defined and all have junk filtering enabled, will the log provide a way of identifying which account a log entry is for?

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom