Accounts disappeared from multi-account TBird

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
khonjo

Accounts disappeared from multi-account TBird

Post by khonjo »

I used to have two accounts on the same TBird both of which are POP and recently added IMAP for those account. I could read mails on those four places on TBird. I know there is no point of keeping POP after setting up IMAP and I was eventually going to remove POPs.

My problem now is that for some reason I now see only one IMAP and another IMAP and the two POPs no longer show up on the TBird. Also disappeard are newsgroup, etc. It appears that I can add another IMAP as I did before.
I wonder why those other IMAP, POPs and all other accounts disappeared leaving only one IMAP account.
DanRaisch

Re: Accounts disappeared from multi-account TBird

Post by DanRaisch »

Open Thunderbird to the profile manager ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager ) and make certain that you have only one Thunderbird profile listed. If you have more than one shown, try opening each to see if those other accounts are present in a profile other than your current default.
khonjo

Post by khonjo »

Thanks for your reply.
The profile manager shows only one user account as it always does.
"Multiple accounts" as is mentioned in my original post refers to mail accounts such as Gmail, Yahoo, newsgroup, feed, etc. When I launched TBird, it asked password which is not supposed to happen, but I entered it anyway. Then only one email account showed up on TBird. All other mail accounts, newsgroup, feed, etc disappeared from TBird.

I can restore those disappeared one by one but I would like to know why they no longer there. Anyone help me?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you use any sort of clean up utility like Ccleaner?
Have there been any system crashes in past day or two?
khonjo

Post by khonjo »

No, I did not during the last one week or so in which this incident happened.
No system crash happened in the past one week. But I think an automatic disk check happened for D: in which the profile manager folder is located.

Before this problem happend, I was seeing POP and IMAP mail accounts for Earthlink, GMail, and newsgroup/feed. When this problem happened TBird showed only IMAP Earthlink account. Since then I added IMAP GMail back by taking steps for adding a new account.

Now local Directory under Server Settings shows D:\MozillaTBird\ImapMail\imap.gmail-3.com.("Mozilla TBird" is name of the profile folder) Other than imap.gmail-3.com, in D:\Mozilla TBird\imapMail, there are imap.gmail.com, imap.gmail.com-1, imap.gmail.com-2, imap.earthlink.net, imap.earthlink-1.net. imap.earthling-1 is the one presently shown in the directory mentioned above.
In D:\Mozilla TBird\Mail , there are Local Folders, Local Folders-1, News & Blogs, pop.aol.com, pop.gmail.com, and pop.mindspring.com. And none of these is now shown on TBird.

One more thing, the profile were accessed from more than one OS system: From multiple installs of W10, W8 and W7, and version of TBird were not the same. Very old one to latest versions. At some TBird launch instances, I might not see it working and added IMAP account.

Note that 1) I did not use TBird for about 10 years, 2) originally there were three pop accounts, and 3) about two weeks ago I started using it, that is when I added IMAP accounts for Earthlink and Gmail.

Could further details as above be clue to determine how the problem happened?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Please copy and paste JUST the "mail & news accounts" section from help -> troubleshooting information. You could paste it into Notepad and then select just that section with your mouse, and copy and paste it into a post in this thread.

It would also help if you copied and pasted the mail.accountmanager.accounts setting from tools -> options -> advanced -> general. If you type .accounts into the search field it should be easy to find. An example:

mail.accountmanager.accounts account1,account3,account5,account6,account7,account10,account8,account9,account2,account11,account15

Are any of your POP accounts configured to use a global inbox? That would hide the accounts folders in the folder pane, and use the folders in "Local Folders" instead. Selecting "Global Inbox (Local Folders account)" in Tools -> Account Settings -> Account Name -> Server Settings -> Advanced does that.
khonjo

Post by khonjo »

Let me re-phrase the original post:
For some reason the profile manager appears non-accessible. Symptom is I get a dialogue box with a title "Set Up an Existing Email Account", as if TBird is launched for the very first time.

Since then I started over using a backup of original profile manager, and added two IMAP accounts, but the above happened again thus I cannot do what tanstaafl suggested.

I am going to try again using a backup of the original profile manager.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I am going to try again using a backup of the original profile manager.
I'm going to assume that you mean "original profile" and not "original profile manager" as Thunderbird does not have a separate profile manager program.
khonjo

Post by khonjo »

In profile.ini, there is Path=D:\xxxxx. In my case the drive is D: and xxxx is a profile folder. What I meant by "Profile Manager" is what are in that xxxx folder. So you are right that "Profile folder" is what I backed up.