TB multithead support?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Ezh

TB multithead support?

Post by Ezh »

Does anyone knows, are out there some rumors about when Tb will become multitheaded? I wish at least it theard every mailbox as a different thread.
It is so slow now. I have to wait a few seconds the window to apper from background.

CPU performance per core/clock is the bottle neck:
i-3xxx - 5-6 seconds waiting
Ryzen 2600 - a 3-4 seconds waiting
i5-6xxx - 1-2 seconds waiting
Ryzen 3600 - 1-2 seconds waiting

A huge impact when Tb downloading simultaneous for 3 very big mailboxes.
tanstaafl

Re: TB multithead support?

Post by tanstaafl »

Its always been multi-threaded AFAIK.

Process Explorer (from SysInternals) shows my copy of Thunderbird 68.9.0 currently using 72 threads. Perhaps your problem is your background processes (global search indexing and syncing of remote folders) are having a noticeable effect due to the very large inbox folders you have. Another possibility is if you have IMAP accounts you have too many remote folders configured to "when getting new messages for this account always check this folder".

Any chance your problem is due to lack of memory (too many other apps loaded) or a slow hard disk? https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... e_Problems might help.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you solve your problem?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

The last bug report I touched about slowness on WIndows OS was caused by antivirus SW.

Regarding multithread - ask again in another year. Until then, you'll need to tune up your system, i.e. what tanstaafl has posted.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Also, from a previous post, you wrote "I need to check mails every minute."

Are you still doing this crazyness?
Ezh

Post by Ezh »

Yes I check every minute for mails. Why is this crazy?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Yes I check every minute for mails. Why is this crazy?"

I suggest you think about switching to IMAP accounts if your email provider(s) support them. They add support checking for new mail via IMAP IDLE commands (which ask the server to automatically notify them if there is new mail). IDLE support is now called "allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive" in the server settings. You don't have to worry about your email provider imposing a limit on how often you can poll for new mail, it can notify you of new mail much quicker, and it doesn't require you to press the get messages button. You typically still check the checkbox for "check for new messages every X minutes" but that is to cover edge cases (unusual circumstances).
Ezh

Post by Ezh »

All accounts are IMAP one.