spoiled functionality in the version 78.2.2

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
lukand

spoiled functionality in the version 78.2.2

Post by lukand »

I have been using Thunderbird for years. One of the reason of its application was the fact the every recipient address was located in a single row. It eased the supervision process. Unfortunately, being unaware what will happen, I updated the software to the level mentioned above. And total disaster! This function is gone and providing recipient addresses is the same as in the Outlook, which I hate! Why it has been destroyed the feature which was the Thunderbird’s advantage? Does it mean that that function will not be ever brought back? If so, I will stay at the level 68.12.1 and I will never upgrade to a new level. Pity!
WaltS48

Re: spoiled functionality in the version 78.2.2

Post by WaltS48 »

The new addressing method wasn't that hard to learn, but I had a lot of practice with the betas.

See Addressing Email
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It doesn't use separate To: lines but you could switch to using the built-in contacts side bar (F9). It has a "Add to To:" button and filters the contents of the list box for the address book as you type in a contact name. That also lets you avoid using auto-complete.
lukand

Post by lukand »

But let us imagine the following case. It is possible to send a new message by selecting an old one and select 'Edit as new'. In such case one would have to look for a specific recipients addresses amongst others provided in one line so to exclude some of them in a new message. It is much more inconvenient to do it in comparison with the case when every single recipient address is located in one single line.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Use Ctrl to select the addresses, then the Delete button, or middle mouse button click, or right-click and select Delete from the context menu.

You still had to select an address to delete using the old UI. I don't see much difference.
lukand

Post by lukand »

Anyway, the 'Outlook-like' addressing method is so inconvenient because it takes more time to manage a recipients' list. Let us imagine if one has 100 recipient addressees in a single line. It is cumbersome to search a specific one within such unarranged large list.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Use a mailing list instead. Hopefully some of the mailing list related add-ons like NotTo or AddExpandedList will be rewritten to support version 78 and later.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

lukand wrote:Anyway, the 'Outlook-like' addressing method is so inconvenient because it takes more time to manage a recipients' list. Let us imagine if one has 100 recipient addressees in a single line. It is cumbersome to search a specific one within such unarranged large list.
I don't see addresses in one line in received or when composing messages.

The most I get with the composition window maximized is two per line.

Might it be that my 19" monitor on the desktop is too small :?:
lukand

Post by lukand »

Up to the version 68.12.1 every email address is located in a single line and pressing 'Enter' key creates another line below. Then one can select any of the options: 'To', 'CC' or 'BCC'. Currently there are maximally three lines only and in every of them one has to insert one or more email addressees which is total disaster.
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

lukand wrote:I have been using Thunderbird for years. One of the reason of its application was the fact the every recipient address was located in a single row. It eased the supervision process. Unfortunately, being unaware what will happen, I updated the software to the level mentioned above. And total disaster! This function is gone and providing recipient addresses is the same as in the Outlook, which I hate! Why it has been destroyed the feature which was the Thunderbird’s advantage? Does it mean that that function will not be ever brought back? If so, I will stay at the level 68.12.1 and I will never upgrade to a new level. Pity!
I agree! The people at Thunderbird made a mess of things.

I was using add-ons Colored Folders, Account Colors and Calendar Tweaks, and the Xpunge button on the mail toolbar. Now all these highly popular add-ons are incompatible with V78 and Thunderbird looks not only looks terrible with its stupid elementary school designed buttons and lack of identifying folder and account colors but it has now lost a whole lot functionality. It's hard for me to believe there people at Thunderbird who think V78 is an improvement for users. And, if Thunderbird needed to make a major change due of some underlying coding (or user interfacing or whatever), then the least they could have done for the users was to make sure the highly popular add-ons were compatible before they forced the update on you. How many millions of people are now pissed-off? I'm one of them!!!
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »