MozillaZine

Deleting attachments multiple messages: current way? (Linux)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
chconnor

Post Posted November 18th, 2020, 10:14 pm

What's the current best way to delete all the attachments from a group of messages at once?

The old methods all relied on extensions that aren't updated for v78.

I have a few hundred messages in my sent folder that I need to remove attachments from (to save space), and going one-by-one is out of the question.

Thanks!
Last edited by DanRaisch on November 19th, 2020, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 21st, 2020, 10:04 pm

I think you are out of luck, the add-on situation is poor. The maintainer of the obvious add-on wrote: "The program code of the add-on is published on GitLab.com and is maintained there in several "branches" for Thunderbird 60 and 68. For subsequent Thunderbird versions (probably Thunderbird 78 in summer 2020) it is still unclear whether and how the add-on will continue."

If you're really desperate and are using a IMAP account you could try installing version 68 in a different directory, create a new profile, add the IMAP account, and use the atatchment extractor continued add-on to extract the attachments. Then you could go back to your old configuration. But I think the out of the question solution (do it one by one using your current configuration) is actually your best bet.

chconnor

Post Posted November 23rd, 2020, 1:20 am

Thanks for the reply -- I found Unattach which is for GMail only, and I found IMAPSize, which worked pretty well (ran OK in Wine) but crashed a lot if you touched it while it was working, and left a number of messages untouched saying they had "no attachments" even though they did (and it's an unmaintained project.)

So I ended up writing my own python script to do the job. If anyone finds this thread they can check out the script here:

http://lacinato.com/cm/blog/27-imapsizereducer

There are a few scripts out there, but I think this one has some nice features. Use at your own risk. :-)

Return to Thunderbird General