Removing the RE and FWD out of the subject

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cve60069

Removing the RE and FWD out of the subject

Post by cve60069 »

Hello

I receive, on average, 200 emails a week that I need to save into folders and read in sequence. When I send an email, I always put a reference in the subject box - '61 Lakeside House - Cleaning Rota' for example but the replies mostly start with RE: or FWD: and I have had multiples of RE: and FWD: This makes sorting difficult as most of my References start with a number.

Is there any way I am able to either have the email enter my Inbox with RE: or FWD: removed, or a filter that will ignore the RE: or FWD: when I sort by subject. If not, am I able to write some code that would do it for me?

A solution will save me hours of work.

Thanks

Dan
LIMPET235

Re: Removing the RE and FWD out of the subject

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Rather than simply sort by subject, would you be able to filter on the subject? In the Quick Filter field on the main Thunderbird screen (accessed using Ctrl+Shift+K) try entering "61 Lakeside House" to have Thunderbird display only messages that included that string in the subject?
cve60069

Post by cve60069 »

DanRaish

I have tried all methods to simplify the sorting including what you proposed. I do a three phase pass. Sort the easiest and quickest which is highlight and move. The I go to a RE: find the subject and choose that as the subject and then follow the correspondants.

I started to sort me emails when I posted this question (3 am by the email) and I have just finished.

Regards

Dan
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What I suggested was not sorting but filtering. Is the issue that you don't know the specific address reference until you have done the sorting?