dlp Remove / Add account related to AOL new config

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
dlpcap

dlp Remove / Add account related to AOL new config

Post by dlpcap »

AOL.com has a new security config beginning 12/7/21. Per their website, in order to continue to use TB, one has to remove email account and re-add the account using default add protocol that syncs with the new AOL login requirements. Of course, I don't want to lose the emails in the account I would be removing and deleting. Looking at 'tutorials' on YouTube to remove an account some show getting to the point of removing, hitting enter, and account is removed. Other 'tutorials' on YouTube show getting to the point of removing, hitting enter, and there is an option to save data for that account, which I assume when you re-add the same account back in that data/emails would still be there.... Which is correct? I have 2 gig of emails (data) that I don't want to lose! What is the safest way to do this?
Please help!
WaltS48

Re: dlp Remove / Add account related to AOL new config

Post by WaltS48 »

I didn't receive an email with this announcement, or see it anywhere when I am logged into my AOL account on the website. Have a link or provide a quotation?

If the account is an IMAP account, all the information should be there when the account is re-added.

I have an AOL account in 3 different versions on two operating systems, and all the data is the same.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
dlpcap

Post by dlpcap »

My AOL account is pop3.

Here's the link -
https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-app ... -in#others

TB is near the bottom.

What do ya think?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I think you follow the directions.

It's what I did and now have an IMAP account.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

This seems like exactly what verizon and yahoo users went through a while ago . All they really had to do was change the authentication method to OAuth2 but the badly written email recommended removing and adding the account ....

If you have a POP account AND can't just change the authentication method to OAuth2 move the downloaded messages to folders in "Local Folders" before deleting and adding the account.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1301423
epp

Post by epp »

I have not received such an e-mail either, but have been using app passwords for my AOL accounts since October 2020, when this option was first made available.
Debian unstable
seb1525

Post by seb1525 »

tanstaafl wrote:This seems like exactly what verizon and yahoo users went through a while ago . All they really had to do was change the authentication method to OAuth2 but the badly written email recommended removing and adding the account ....
It wasn't quite that simple. This apparently was enforced on 19 Jan 2022. I had to change the incoming server from pop.verizon.net to pop.aol.com, change my username from username to username@verizon.net, and change the authentication method to OAuth2. In addition, to get outgoing mail working I had to provide a one-time password to AOL (using the interface at password.aol.com). Evidently TB doesn't support OAuth2 with pop.verizon.net.