Betterbird clone

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Tin Smith

Re: Betterbird clone

Post by Tin Smith »

Found it.

On the Betterbird: Downloads page under 102-Preview (top of the list of downloads about half way down the page

https://www.betterbird.eu/downloads/index.php
Tin Smith

Post by Tin Smith »

Found this

https://www.betterbird.eu/downloads/index.php

Open 102-Preview

Select the latest Build.
Tin Smith

Post by Tin Smith »

Interesting. I posted this twice, different posts, the second because the first disappeared. Now it shows up. Sorry about that.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

It's on the download page. Look for what is offered under the title 102-Preview

https://betterbird.eu/downloads/index.php
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

https://betterbird.eu/releasenotes/index.html talks about Version 102 "preview": 102.0-bb8 (24 June 2022, Build of 30 June 2022, Windows only) . RC2 (what was released as 102) didn't exist yet on June 24. Its more likely based on beta 8 (which was built June 21) or a daily build shortly after that.

I installed it anyways.
Tin Smith

Post by Tin Smith »

I installed it anyways.

I gather that it did not blow up then? :-)

Seriously. I would not have expected it to do that.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

Hi,
I downloaded Betterbird. is it possible to have betterbird point to my Thunderbird profile ? Will it work and show and implement all my add-ons ?

Robert
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes. Select about:profiles in help -> more troubleshooting information , find the profile and press "set as default profile" . You can press the ALT key to temporarily enable the menu toolbar in order to access the help menu if you don't want to use the hamburger/app menu button in the upper right corner.

Betterbird should have no problems using the same add-ons as Thunderbird.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

Hi

Thanks for the info. if I point it to the current profile that Thunderbird is using and set it as default. Should all my contact in card book be loaded and all my addons show up, or do they all need to be loaded manually ?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You should see it all, automatically. You just need to have it use the desired profile.

Betterbird is essentially just Thunderbird with more patches. Other than bug fixes the main differences are in how updates are done.

It has a very few enhancements, such as "view -> layout -> multi-line view on all folders". They've been requested in bug reports for many years, they're not something that Betterbird just decided on their own would be a good idea. Some of those enhancements Thunderbird will eventually implement themselves, a different way. I don't know how Betterbird will handle that, but its too early for it to be an issue yet.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

I got it to work. You actually have to shut down Thunderbird for Betterbird to work. I first observations are that Betterbird runs much smoother and faster than Thunderbird. There does not seem to be any lag. I will play with it for a few more days. I live on Thunderbord all day. So now I will live off of Betterbird.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

I have been using Betterbird 102.1.0BB12, and I have been noticing that sometimes when moving form one email to the next in my inbox the hour glass comes on and my machines stalls. It has been happening a lot lately. Has anyone experienced this issue with Betterbird
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Nope. I'm using 102.1.0-bb12 (64-Bit) and get about 40 messages/day which I read using the optional message pane (F8). I just have the browse in tab and compact headers add-ons.

Perhaps you're running into a configuration specific bug due to the version of Thunderbird that Betterbird is based on. 102 is still not mature enough for it to be available as automated update.