Names associated with emails

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Kolyaharpe

Names associated with emails

Post by Kolyaharpe »

I am trying to sort my emails based on the sender or recipient. All the email addresses are currently in my address book. Thunderbird seems to look up the name attached to the email rather than the address. For example, if I have received an email from a contact in my address book, it seems that TB accepts the name and address that the email comes with rather than checking my address book for the email address and associating the name that is in my address book with the email. When i sort the emails, this leads to multiple blocks in which an email is sorted into, depending on the name that the email came with. The same issue occurs when I reply to an email, TB will use the name that the email came with rather than the name in my address book for that email.

Is there any way to force TB to look up email addresses in my address book before sorting them?
tanstaafl

Re: Names associated with emails

Post by tanstaafl »

Not that I'm aware of though its tough to keep track of all of the available add-ons.

You might experiment with using view -> sort by ->"grouped by sort" or one of the add-ons that tries to duplicate Gmail conversations. It won't sort the way you want, but might not have the multiple blocks you object to.
dcw5

Re: Names associated with emails

Post by dcw5 »

This add-on seems to let you show the display name from the address book instead of the name from the email:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/5296