MozillaZine

thunderbird comcast 5.1.1 error

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
twhiting

Post Posted April 12th, 2009, 5:57 am

I am receiving an error from Thunderbird with comcast and a maillist. If one of the addresses is incorrect, then entire email is not sent and no clue is given as to which address is incorrect. When I tried the same addresses using outlook express, I received a much more useful response which is below.

Can someone in the know submit an enhancement request to thunderbird developers?

Outlook express message:
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was xzxxxxxx@comcast.net'. Subject 'xxxxxxxxxx', Account: 'POP3', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.1 Not our Customer', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I resubmitted this as a new thread at the request of one of the moderators (thank you for the input).

tanstaafl

Post Posted April 12th, 2009, 2:01 pm

You can submit an enhancement request yourself at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ . We don't have a inside track, we're just users like yourself.

I believe a SMTP server can be configured to not send the message if there are any problems, such as one of the addresses being invalid, rather than making a best attempt and notify you of any failures afterwards. The only way to work around that on the client side would be to send X requests to send a message (each addressed just to one recipient) if you had X recipients. That would noticeably impact performance, especially if you had a large attachment. The obvious work around would be to try another email providers SMTP server with that account.

I suggest you use the ThunderPlunger add-on. It has a validate email address function that can be run from the address book if you want to detect invalid email addresses before sending a message using a list.

tanstaafl

Post Posted April 12th, 2009, 2:05 pm

The "Response: '550 5.1.1 Not our Customer" is due to your not authenticating yourself (supply a username/password to the SMTP server) when you use the SMTP server to send a message to somebody in another domain. You can prevent that error, thus working around the problem.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/5.7.1_Unable_to_relay

twhiting

Post Posted April 15th, 2009, 6:42 pm

Hello,

it is not 5.7.1, but 5.1.1. I have an authenticated username/password. The problem occurs when the invalid address in the email list is part of the comcast.net domain. Comcast knows it is invalid and doesn't send out any of the email. The problem is that Thunderbird doesn't tell me which address is invalid. Outlook express, as in my earlier post, does this.

Your earlier suggestion of ThunderPlunger could help if the address was reported. Since the invalid address isn't given, ThunderPlunger will not help.

Thanks for the link on enhancements. I'll file the idea.

tanstaafl wrote:The "Response: '550 5.1.1 Not our Customer" is due to your not authenticating yourself (supply a username/password to the SMTP server) when you use the SMTP server to send a message to somebody in another domain. You can prevent that error, thus working around the problem.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/5.7.1_Unable_to_relay

twhiting

Post Posted April 15th, 2009, 6:50 pm

tanstaafl,

I stand (well sit typing) corrected. It looks like thunderplunger can scan an address book for valid addresses. I'll give it a try.

Again, thank you.

twhiting

Post Posted April 15th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Thunderplunger worked like a champ!!
Kudos tanstaafl!

Return to Thunderbird General