Slow, slow, slow :-(

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
columbo

Slow, slow, slow :-(

Post by columbo »

Hi everybody!
Is it normal that thunderbird reacts slowy when moving the mouse form the "folderframe" to the frame where all mails of the actual folder are listed?
Thx

Matthias

using thunderbird 260503 on win2000 sp3 amd 2,2 gHz with 512 mb ddr
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

Probably, it is 0.1 alpha quality software.
rockstiff

Post by rockstiff »

What do you mean by "moving the mouse"? Do you mean changing focus by clicking? I don't see this on my system. Try with a new profile and see if you still have this problem.
Mozilla Firefox 0.9 20040817
Windows XP Professional SP1
netnichols

Post by netnichols »

I have the exact same problem.

When I move the mouse around in one frame (message view or message list), everything behaves as normal. But when I move the mouse over two frames (message view and message list), then the cpu usage goes to 100% and of course everything slows down.

I thought (as suggested) that this might be a profile problem, since I updated and kept my old profile. So I created a new profile and the problem still exists.

This is a new problem that I've only experienced with the latest two releases, which, now that I think about it, are the releases with the new theme.. hmm...
rockstiff

Post by rockstiff »

Now that I know what to look for I see it too. CPU-usage nerver goes as high as 100% but I definately see an increase in activity from the <tt>thunderbird.exe</tt> process...
iluvmonkees

Post by iluvmonkees »

I can confirm this.

If I am moving the mose around in one frame, the cpu usage is 3-14%
If I am moving the mouse between two frames, the cpu usage is 12-48%

The program takes up 25 megabytes of memory (but I think that's normal right?)

I am running Windows XP with 2003-06-03 build.

But I'm wondering if this is really a bug or just a performance thing. I would not jump to file this unless it is really causing you a lot of trouble. I didn't even notice until I read this thread. Hope this helps.

-Alex
columbo

Solution found!

Post by columbo »

Hi!
I think i found the solution to this problem: After updating to Windows XP, thunderbird was very fast, there wasno increase of cpu-usage when moving the mouse from one frame to the other. After installing the actual nvidia detonator driver, thunderbird slowed down und cpu-usage increased up to 50% when movin from one frame to the other. After uninstalling the detonator driver, no problems so far!
wlogan56

Re: Solution found!

Post by wlogan56 »

columbo wrote:Hi!
I think i found the solution to this problem: After updating to Windows XP, thunderbird was very fast, there wasno increase of cpu-usage when moving the mouse from one frame to the other. After installing the actual nvidia detonator driver, thunderbird slowed down und cpu-usage increased up to 50% when movin from one frame to the other. After uninstalling the detonator driver, no problems so far!

I am glad you posted that. I thought I was going nuts. I have a second machine that was doing this and my home PC was not.

Logan
rockstiff

Post by rockstiff »

But I have a ATI card... can't be the same problem with drivers from both companies can it?! I would say it has something to do with Thunderbird.
stickedy

Post by stickedy »

I can confirm the increase of CPU-Time: Thunderbird.exe jumps from about 20% when only moving in one frame to about 40% when moving from one frame to another! This is strange indeed...

But I can't confirm that anything becomes slow! The mouse just moves as ever.

This is confirmed on two systems:

AMD Athlon XP-2000+
768 MB RAM
Windows XP Pro SP1
PowerVR Kyro II graphic

VIA C3 933
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Pro SP1
Number Nine Revolution 3D

So, I think we can say that It doesn't depend on the CPU! Perhaps graphics? Or RAM! I noticed with shock that thunderbird occupies about 80 MB of RAM on my Athlon!
Rhubarb

Post by Rhubarb »

Confirmed,

Compaq Armada M700 laptop,
Intel P IV 700
128 MB RAM
Windows 2000 SP3
ATI Rage Mobility-P AGP

Doesn't come to a complete stop - but that might be dependend on processor speed, or memory available, or something like that. On a related note, I don't think this is a TB specific thing - if it's sw specific, it's probably actually the layout engine.
And He Said: "Rhubarb"
netnichols

Post by netnichols »

i posted earlier in this thread, and wanted to give an update with more detailed information..

the 'slow down' aspect of this phenomenon is not consistently reproducable. Usually I experience what others have said, an increase in cpu (15% to ~70%) but no 'speed' difference. But other times I notice the same increase in cpu with a noticeable 'jerkiness' to the mouse. Once this happens, it doesn't go away until I reboot (or maybe just restart.. i can't remember.. doh!).

i'm running
amd 900
512 MB
tnt2
win2k (current)
nvidia (current)