Grab market share

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
robdogg

Grab market share

Post by robdogg »

Here is a sure way to gain market share at the expense of Lotus Notes. If Thunderbird could be a front end to Lotus Notes email server, I guarantee that millions of people in corporations that have to use the Lotus Notes horrific front end would switch almost instantly.

Any thoughts on this?
mscott

Re: Grab market share

Post by mscott »

robdogg wrote:Here is a sure way to gain market share at the expense of Lotus Notes. If Thunderbird could be a front end to Lotus Notes email server, I guarantee that millions of people in corporations that have to use the Lotus Notes horrific front end would switch almost instantly.

Any thoughts on this?

Lotus notes is proprietary. So is the format. That's like saying thunderbird should support MS Exchange servers....It's propietary...we can't do that.
Thunderbirds are Go!
robdogg

Post by robdogg »

mscott wrote:
robdogg wrote:Here is a sure way to gain market share at the expense of Lotus Notes. If Thunderbird could be a front end to Lotus Notes email server, I guarantee that millions of people in corporations that have to use the Lotus Notes horrific front end would switch almost instantly.

Any thoughts on this?

Lotus notes is proprietary. So is the format. That's like saying thunderbird should support MS Exchange servers....It's propietary...we can't do that.

Why not. MS Exchange is supported by several products. Samba deals with Windows network format. There is really no reason why Lotus Notes can't be supported.
brewthatistrue

Post by brewthatistrue »

robdogg wrote:Why not. MS Exchange is supported by several products. Samba deals with Windows network format. There is really no reason why Lotus Notes can't be supported.

have you any idea how much work it was to make samba?

http://ftp.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/samba/docs/history

the goal of this project is to be a normal (exceptional?) pop3/imap/news client (afaik).
i think the developers have their hands full already without having extra stuff like this to deal with.

also, i think that one of the project's goals is extensibility, so that plugins/extension can be written for users who want EXTRA features.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

robdogg wrote:Why not. MS Exchange is supported by several products. Samba deals with Windows network format. There is really no reason why Lotus Notes can't be supported.

Samba is not a Windows-proprietary format, although it may look that way.

http://samba.anu.edu.au/cifs/docs/what-is-smb.html