Why I switched from Thunderbird 3 to Seamonkey 2

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Lemon Juice

Re: Why I switched from Thunderbird 3 to Seamonkey 2

Post by Lemon Juice »

zwarbles wrote:Thanks, I'll try that. Next question is whenever I click on a link, SeaMonkey browser opens...and I am using FF. How can I remain using FF and have that browser open when I click on links?

I don't know of any straightforward way of doing this but I have two workarounds for you:

1. Install Launchy extension. This will add a new right-click context menu to links in Seamonkey mail and browser with which you will be able to choose an application to open the link in. There will be a list of all your installed browsers and some other programs. In my case Lauchy detected all browsers except Firefox, but that could be because I have several versions installed in non-default locations. If this happens, create an xml file to add Firefox as explained here - with this tool it's pretty easy to add any application. The only caveat is you have to always right-click on the links.

2. Go to about:config and add the following boolean preferences:

network.protocol-handler.external.http
network.protocol-handler.external.https
network.protocol-handler.external.ftp

and set them all to true and restart seamonkey. This will make seamonkey browser useless by making it launch an external application for any url, however Mail will work just fine. The caveat here is that when you click a link in Mail a new blank semaonkey window will always open before launching firefox. Go to preferences -> browser -> tabbed browsing and choose to open links from other applications in the current tab/window. This will at least prevent from creating more than one empty browser window.

And there is a third option which is trying out seamonkey browser to see if it can appeal to your liking :mrgreen:
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
zwarbles

Post by zwarbles »

I wouldn't be against using it as my browser, but it doesn't have some of the addins I like.
I did your #1 option, but don't know how to add it into ff. How do I do that?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

You can check in the SeaMonkey Support forum regarding the add-ons. Many extensions haven't been made compatible with SeaMonkey (yet), but frequently modified versions are published by others with the necessary adaptions.

If you define a New > String preference general.useragent.extra.seamonkey2 with Firefox/3.5 as value, you won't run into issues where web sites won't recognize SeaMonkey as a Firefox equivalent. Other than that, SeaMonkey has all of the Firefox backend whistles without the flashy surface (as with Thunderbird, not all Firefox features were ported if they didn't seem appropriate for SeaMonkey).
Last edited by rsx11m on February 6th, 2010, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
zwarbles

Post by zwarbles »

rsx11m wrote:You can check in the SeaMonkey Support forum regarding the add-ons. Many extensions haven't been made compatible with SeaMonkey (yet), but frequently modified versions are published by others with the necessary adaptions.

Thank you.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

zwarbles wrote:I wouldn't be against using it as my browser, but it doesn't have some of the addins I like.

Apart from the Mozilla official add-on site check out these:
http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html
http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html

zwarbles wrote:I did your #1 option, but don't know how to add it into ff. How do I do that?

You don't add it into FF, you should install Launchy in Seamonkey. It should work straight away.
Thomas195

Post by Thomas195 »

Yes, Lemon Juice,

Thunderbird 3.x has severely went backward in progress. I wonder if everyone else quit and they have a new main development team of completely new people who don't know how people use multiple email accounts or if they are intentionally trying to drive us all away from Mozilla products.

I appreciate that Thunderbird and Firefox are FREE! However, that doesn't mean I'm going to keep using them when they destroy them like this. I suffered through all of the IDIOT "upgrades" and "new Features?" of Thunderbird for two days (I had to give it a chance), but it is HORRIFIC!!! I went back to Thunderbird 2.0.0.23, which is just fine. I have no suggestions for improvement. Mine loads fast and everything is great with it.

I hadn't tried SeaMonkey in a very long time. I had spent quite a few hours searching for another e-mail and browser to use. Because, just as they have completely screwed up Thunderbird, they have also completely screwed up Firefox. I don't think these people know how normal people use browsers and e-mail anymore, but NONE of their new so-called features are features for anyone that I know. And if they are going to implement new (crappy) features, then they should be an optional setting. They shouldn't be forced upon us as default even though only 2% of the users will like them and use them.

I'll have to try SeaMonkey out. Otherwise, I'll have to seek out new software because Thunderbird 3.x and Firefox 3.6 are NOT going to be what I use in the near future. These two packages need to be flushed down the toilet.
zwarbles

Post by zwarbles »

You don't add it into FF, you should install Launchy in Seamonkey. It should work straight away.

Lemon Juice....please tell me how I launch it in SeaMonkey?
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Did you manage to install it? Just click "install in semonkey" on the add-on site and allow it to do so. You will be asked to restart. Then open Mail and right-click on any link in a message, you will see "Launchy"
cretaceous

Post by cretaceous »

thanks for heads up on SeaMonkey

been using W7 for a few months and long term user of outlook express on Xp
(windows mail was unstable on vista to begin, though they must have fixed it as it seems fine now)
.. but on W7 I could not believe the awful "live mail" - its like a toy
I too have lots of accounts and am a POP user - I'm a grown up and constantly use email for work
clearly MS give low priority to email for the public

so I moved everything to Thunderbird and decided to work with it and not give up..
but today I do give up - its just clunky

the account setup thing is pathetic - do they even have a "usability" team member?
I shall install SeaMonkey BUT if it loads every link into its browser instead of my default FF then its getting dumped as well
why cant I just buy Outlook without Access ?

why cant these people give US the control and not think they know better?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Thomas195 wrote: I wonder if everyone else quit and they have a new main development team

They have a brand new team with a different leader. Originally Scott McGregor and David Bienvenu were the only paid employees working on Thunderbird. Both quit when Mozilla created Mozilla Messaging. Scott helped found Postbox. David Bienvenu eventually came back (joined Mozilla Messaging).

There is some over lap between the Thunderbird and Raindrop teams but it appears there are five full time developers working on Thunderbird. There is also a full time QA lead (Ludovic Hirlimann) and support lead (Roland Tanglao). Neither of those positions existed when Thunderbird was part of Mozilla.
jmcdaniel

Post by jmcdaniel »

I agree with most of the comments Lemon Juice made. I find TB 3.0+ to not be an improvement overall. I hesitate though to spend the time to set up yet another program.
I'd like to mention two issues that come up frequently. I have many email accounts and am getting a lot of spam that passes my spam filters so I'm trying to see which account the spam is coming through. Therefore I want to see the actual email address that it was sent to. If there is going to be a "header" with buttons to handle the email why eliminate the "next" and "previous" buttons??? The only place you can put them is at the top.
I agree whole heartedly with the comments about the account wizard. I actually had to circumvent it to set up every email account. So it actually got in the way.

A feature I'd like added is to be able to delete all the contents of a spam folder without opening any of it, like the "empty trash" works on that one folder.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

jmcdaniel wrote:A feature I'd like added is to be able to delete all the contents of a spam folder without opening any of it, like the "empty trash" works on that one folder.
I don't know if the Buttons! extension is already available for version3, but the "Delete Junk!" button can do what you wish if I understand you correctly.
Platon_

Post by Platon_ »

There is also a Delete Junk button at CodeFisher's http://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/to ... hunderbird
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

jmcdaniel wrote:A feature I'd like added is to be able to delete all the contents of a spam folder without opening any of it, like the "empty trash" works on that one folder.

It's already there: if you enable junk controls for your account and choose to automatically move junk to the spam folder, then the spam folder gets a special icon and when you right-click there is the option "empty junk"
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Buttons! add-on that supports 3.0.4