How to import PST files to Thunderbird?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Fobulous

How to import PST files to Thunderbird?

Post by Fobulous »

is there a way to do this? I can't find anything on Thunderbird to do this at all, since Thunderbird is using a different format...

Thanks
Never give up
jallison86

Post by jallison86 »

Tools/Import/Mail, then choose Outlook from the list. TB will import PST files that you are using in Outlook. I'm not sure that there's a way to import a random PST file that you haven't told Outlook about, though.
Fobulous

Post by Fobulous »

Ok i was able to import my outlook folders and contacts but this is from my main Outlook Profile, as i have 4 profiles. I guess one cannot choose which profile to import from..it'd be great if one can just import the PSTs...
Never give up
BrokerOutpost

Post by BrokerOutpost »

Im trying to import but it keeps saying that there is no mail to import. Where is my PST file suppose to be located at? I cant find a way to browse and select it.
Darin
jetpeach

Post by jetpeach »

you have to have outlook installed because darn M$ makes it very difficult to leave outlook - PST is proprietary and can't be read by Thunderbird alone because of legal reasons.
Rus

Post by Rus »

Same problem. I'm using the standard PST-file (Outlook 2000) and imported a vital personal map from a different PST-file taht is located in a directory that is backuped on a regular basis. Nonthing is imported in Thunderbird, which will be necesary if I'm going to use it as a standard email client.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

>I guess one cannot choose which profile to import from.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?t ... ok_Express
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

BrokerOutpost wrote:Im trying to import but it keeps saying that there is no mail to import. Where is my PST file suppose to be located at? I cant find a way to browse and select it.

The reason you can't browse to a .PST file is because Thunderbird (like most non-Microsoft email clients) doesn't understand the format of a .PST file. It calls Outlooks *.DLLs to find and parse the .PST file using MAPI.

Check that Outlook is your default email client when trying to import from it. You could also try importing it into outlook express, and then from outlook express to thunderbird. That frequently works better.
Zionai

Post by Zionai »

If you want to import different profiles, you can always go to Control Panel, Mail, Profiles, and change the default profile to whichever you want to import. That should do it.

And it's driving me up the walls that I need to have Outlook installed to import it. I didn't check up on that, and have now gotten rid of my MS Office alltogether, since it was doing absolutely nothing for my productivity, in comparison with better products (OpenOffice, Thunderbird, MySQL, etc.) - Now I have 5 PST-files, of which I imported most, but not all - and everything from before 2004 is now safely archived in files I can't open >.< How's that for security?

~Z