MozillaZine

Automatically mark folder as read

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Hermanator

Post Posted July 14th, 2010, 4:35 am

I am trying to find a way to automatically mark messages in a certain folder as read. The folder is on an IMAP mail account. The e-mail provider that I use has an own spam filter. Mails that are identified as spam will be moved to the folder SPAM. The filter is pretty good, so Thunderbirds own junk filter does not have a lot to do anymore. The problem now is that I want to have all messages in the SPAM folder to be marked as read automatically.
Thunderbird's own junk filter has the option to mark junk messages as read. However, my provider's spam filter does not offer this option. Is there a way to make messages that appear in a certain folder to be marked as read by default? I have tried to achieve this by using filters, however, I can not make a filter that only works on messages inside a specific folder.

Is there any way to do this?

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 14th, 2010, 9:22 am

Filters do not run automatically on any folder other than the Inbox. You can periodically trigger a filter on that SPAM folder manually to mark all messages in it as read.

uvu

Post Posted February 1st, 2012, 6:39 am

Hi,

as I recently switched my Yahoo account to IMAP in Thunderbird, I'm facing the same problem now as Hermanator did.

How does that periodical triggering of a filter work? After all, even in the latest TB filters cannot be specified for a folder other than Inbox, and I can't find an option to even run a specific filter on the junk folder. So, how can I accomplish this, without having to mark the folder read manually all the time? ](*,)

I'm grateful for any helpful reply. Thank you. :)

DanRaisch

Post Posted February 1st, 2012, 6:46 am

You don't need a filter to mark messages identified as Junk as "Read". There is an option in the Junk Mail Controls to trigger that action -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls

uvu

Post Posted February 1st, 2012, 9:17 am

Thank you for your reply. However, that setting is/was activated already, of course.

But as Hermanator explained in his original post one and a half years ago, the messages in question are not moved/touched by TB's junk control. They are moved there already by the server side spam filters - which is almost perfect. Unfortunately, the server side spam controls leave the messages marked as unread.

I have even set TB up to not check the IMAP junk folder when checking the corresponding account for new mail. But whenever a spam mail gets through the server side filters and TB's junk controls step in and move this message to that folder, TB will touch that folder anyway and see and notify about the unread mails in there. Hence the wish for a working way to have those messages marked as read automatically, or some other way to not get notified about the mails in the Spam/Junk/Bulk folder. After all, that's what a dedicated junk folder is there for, isn't it?

Your suggestion does not cover that constellation, sorry.

If all goes bad, I will have to set up an extra folder where TB can move its processed spam mails while effectively ignoring the bulk folder that is filled already on the server side. But I'd really hate to give all that spam even more space in my mailbox, and additionally lose the ability to simply clean out the folder with right click » ‚Empty Junk’... :evil:

DanRaisch

Post Posted February 1st, 2012, 5:10 pm

What folder do you have selected as the target for moving "Junk" messages to in Thunderbird? Find that under Edit->Account Settings->Junk Settings. If it is now pointing to the server Junk folder, change that to point to a sub-folder of Local Folders. That should break any link between the Thunderbird Junk procedures and the server side processes.

uvu

Post Posted February 2nd, 2012, 3:09 am

Thank you again, Dan.

Your suggestion will practically split up my spam between the junk mails locally sorted by TB and the server side sorted ones — as in my if-all-goes-bad scenario above, but even worse.... The ideal solution for me would be to have all spam mail for this one account in one spam folder, as it is supposed to be. Much less would I want to clutter my folder structure and account layout even more by moving a part of the spam to that ominous ‚Local Folders’ location. Nope, not an option. With all IMAP accounts, I use ‚Local Folders’ only as a place to archive old mails that are not online anymore, and sure as heck will not spread spam there -- not to mention that I have to scroll really far down in my folders pane (~15 mail accounts plus news folders, which must make it hundreds of folders altogether) to get to the Local Folders when I have to check yet another spam folder for false positives...

A pity, really, that there's no easy way. I can't imagine this is such a rare setup and issue I'm facing. I will try to find some hidden setting or extension that can provide yet another missing feature in TB... [-X

geoyo1

Post Posted March 11th, 2013, 5:53 pm

There is a workaround which you can use. Some mail providers mark spam with a special header value. For example, Yahoo mark spam mail with "X-YahooFilteredBulk". In the filter dialog, create a new custom filter value for "X-YahooFilteredBulk" and set it to "Contains"->"." (a dot). As filter action, set it to "Mark as read".

Then, you have to setup TB so that it will automatically run this filter on the junk folder, here's how:

Go to the config editor, here's how: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/10960-thunder ... fig-editor

Then, create a new string preference "mail.server.default.applyIncomingFilters" to "true". Even if it seems odd, do NOT create a boolean setting, it has to be a STRING setting with the value "true".

This option will run filters on all folders, not only the inbox folder.

If you have done everything correctly, this will automatically mark all incoming mail in the junk folder as read.

However, if you can't identify mails by their headers, you're out of luck it seems. In that case, my suggestion would be not to sort mails into folders on the server side, but to send all mails to the default inbox folder and let Thunderbird do the filtering. At this point, you can use the filter to automatically mark the email as read.

For example, if you have a server-side filter where all mails from jane@yahoo.com go to a folder "Mails from Jane", you could delete this filter and recreate it locally using thunderbird, then mark as read in the filter and move it to the folder.

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 12th, 2013, 5:21 am

Thanks for your suggestion but you've replied to a thread that's been dead for twelve months.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.

Return to Thunderbird General