edit subject line in received emails

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
isnoend

edit subject line in received emails

Post by isnoend »

How can i edit the subject line in received emails ?
Freee!!

Re: edit subject line in received emails

Post by Freee!! »

There are some ways (usually using add-ons), but it is normally not something I would recommend. Especially when you wish to use emails as evidence, it is important not to change anything at all in received messages.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I agree with Freee!! about the inappropriateness of changing someone else's text.

If you want to try it, however, there was an extension that provided that function but it has not been updated in quite some time and is unlikely to work with 3.x versions of Thunderbird.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/875/ You can try bumping the MaxVersion of the extension but don't be surprised if it doesn't work. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Editing_an_ad ... patibility
isnoend

Post by isnoend »

new to thunderbird
Thanks for the replies. I am not concerned with legal part. I sell software and tools from my website and a copy is always sent to gmail where they are archived so i always have an original. Been using Outlook
To download messages and always include the customers name in the subject line to make it easy to find if need be. Will try to find an add-on, extension, but most i have tried do not work with 3.1
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
RockFox

Post by RockFox »

I have used three email clients that let you edit the subject line. I just migrated to TB and found I can't do it here.

Why would I want to do this? Well fox example I receive an email with the subject "Your order confirmation". I would like to change to subject to be more specific such as "$49.95 Stock Newsletter", for example.

There was an add-on for previous versions of TB but it is incompatible with TB 3.1
isnoend

Post by isnoend »

RockFox wrote:I have used three email clients that let you edit the subject line. I just migrated to TB and found I can't do it here.

Why would I want to do this? Well fox example I receive an email with the subject "Your order confirmation". I would like to change to subject to be more specific such as "$49.95 Stock Newsletter", for example.

There was an add-on for previous versions of TB but it is incompatible with TB 3.1

Hope someone makes an add-on
DaneWayne

Post by DaneWayne »

Thank's Mozilla for taking a very productive tool, Thunderbird, and ruining it!!

This 3.1.7 update is crap.

I had my Thunderbird all dialed-in to enhance my productivity and you produce a woefully inadequate, "upgrade". Upgrade, what a joke!

One of the most useful add-ons I utilizeds was the ability to edit the subject line of emails received.

It allowed me to put information in to the subject line that summarized the info within the email, so that I did not have to open EVERY damn email to drill-down to the one that contained information I needed.

Searching the body of the email was not practical in how I utilized the edit subject feature.

I don't care about the legal implications of my editing the subject line of emails sent to to me. I got my own lawyer, your lawyer can worry about your emails.

You owe it to those of us who utilized the "edit subject" add-on to write the code for one that will work on 3.1.7.

If not, I will never ever update Thunderbird again. Inmfact, I'm looking to revert back to the earlier version, given the "edit subject" was that useful to me.

Legal, implication of changing the Subject line. What Barabra Striesand!!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1) Mozilla doesn't provide any of the extensions. Extensions are extensions because the functionality they offer is not something likely to be offered in the main application any time soon, if ever. Since extensions are provided by independent developers, there is always a risk that major updates to the main application are going to "break" older extensions. When the originator has ceased to maintain the extension, that situation may be permanent. That's a fact of life and a risk of becoming dependent on a particular extension.

2) This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user community. So we really don't care what version of Thunderbird you use, or whether you use Thunderbird at all!

3) Rather than waste everyone's time here ranting about your loss, you might have more constructively have added your vote to the requests above that some extension developer create a new extension to provide the same functionality.
DaneWayne

Post by DaneWayne »

Regarding your item 3 statement.

Hey, I don't mean to rant but you have NO idea how this has messed me up and not doubt thousands of others at a very un-accomodating time of the year.

You're not affiliated with Mozilla? Sorry, didn't see that stated anywhere up to now.
CNBarnes

Post by CNBarnes »

In an attempt to get back to the OT....

Has anyone found an add-on that will do this yet? Like the OP, I had the extension in a prior version of TB, but it is no longer compatible. Being able to edit the original header is something I VERY much want to do...
--
Chris Barnes
gertiegrumbles

Post by gertiegrumbles »

This is something I really need - I get swamped with replies to email sent out in bulk - they come back with the same subject - and I have to keep reading and re-reading them all to find the ones I want.

If Thunderbird can't do this, can anyone recommend another email client that can?
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

you might wanna lookit these ...

- add perform action to message filter to modify subject line
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=195138

- "Change subject" feature (edit)
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91106

if a bug fits your situation, you might want to vote for it. please, do NOT comment unless you have new info. bugspamming - "me too" comments and various rants [*grin*] - is a good way to get the bug ignored.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

take care,
lee
TRAINSGWR

Post by TRAINSGWR »

Interesting, I use TB V24 and find that I can edit subject lines in both Forwarding & Reply.
Ron
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

...and also have replied to thread that has been dead for six years.

Locking this thread due to the age of the original posts.