Unable to Locate Mail Spool File

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
onaridge

Unable to Locate Mail Spool File

Post by onaridge »

I downloaded the latest Thunderbird mail client for Ubuntu 10.0.4 and launched the application. With all account and server info filled in, I get an error when I check mail that says "unable to locate mail spool file". I know of several people with this same issue. Is there anything I can do? I am using Evolution as my mail client and I hate it. I was a Eudora user but that also gives the same error. Evolution works fine. Please help.
onaridge

Re: Unable to Locate Mail Spool File

Post by onaridge »

I should add that a search on Google provided no help other than discovering someone else with the same problem. :-(
tanstaafl

Re: Unable to Locate Mail Spool File

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird doesn't know anything about mail spool files unless you create a MoveMail account. That requires editing prefs.js with either a text editor or the config editor, its not something you can accidentally do. I suspect its an error message returned from the mail server complaining that it couldn't find it. Especially since Eudora has the same problem.

1. Who is your email provider?
2. What is the full text of the error message? If it mentions a email address replace the username part with "username"
3. Is this a POP or IMAP account? If its IMAP, any idea what type of IMAP server they're using?
4. Or are you trying to make native Exchange calls? I think Evolution has built-in support for that. Thunderbird and Eudora don't. See http://davmail.sourceforge.net/ if that is what you're trying to do.

As a quick and dirty sanity check you might try signing up for a free email account somewhere (Gmail, gmx.com, hotmail etc.) and see if it has the same problem.