Comparison: Thunderbird vs. Microsoft Outlook

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Kenwong

Comparison: Thunderbird vs. Microsoft Outlook

Post by Kenwong »

Hi,

I have been using Microsoft Outlook for its email and news (newsgroup) functions and am considering to switch to Thunderbird.

Can those who have already switched from Outlook to Thunderbird (or Thunderbird => Outlook, or Outlook => Thunderbird => Outlook) compare these two applications in terms of their features, ease of use, speed, ... , etc.

... and overall speaking, which one in your opinion is better?
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

I recently switched from Outlook to Thunderbird and last week when I had to reinstall the OS (W2K, SP4) I choose not to install Outlook. Thunderbird has all features I need and is easier to use. I suggest you run Outlook and Thunderbird together for a while to see which e-mail program you prefer. Make sure they both leave the messages on the server so the other program can also download all messages.
charliek_98

Post by charliek_98 »

I switched from Outlook to TB a few weeks ago. I'm happy with TB and, in general, just want to start moving away from MS software. I used the Outlook calendar and task manager a lot and found those areas a bit weak in TB. However, I'm just changing my approach and hope TB will catch up.

Good luck,
CharlieK
drb000

Post by drb000 »

Outlook is more robust; it's been in development 10 years longer.

A better comparison would be Thunderbird vs Outlook Express. That being said I've used all three during various times in my career. If you have a PDA / absolutely need crazy stationary/signatures -- use Outlook.

If you just want to send an email (which is exactly what an email program should do), use Thunderbird. It's implementation of the IMAP protocol is really rather nice.
Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

Thunderbird: version 1.0 (20041206)

<b>Website: <a href='http://www.matt-darby.com' target='_blank'>matt-darby.com</a></b>