filter doesn't work

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
spackbirne

filter doesn't work

Post by spackbirne »

Hi I'm using TB 02 (20030901)

My filter is like this:
if sender contains "@xyz" and if status is "read" move message to folder "xyz"

The filter is enabled, but it doesn't work. Only if I press the "run now" button in the filter settings the filter works. I also relaunched TB. The filter doesn't work automatically.

Any ideas, what I'm doing wrong?
fjleal

Post by fjleal »

The filters are run when a new message arrives. And by that time, no message has a "read" status, for they are new! So in y opinion your filter will never work, unless of course you start it manualy.
spackbirne

??

Post by spackbirne »

But after I've read them, the two conditions are "true". Then I have a mail in my inbox with the specific sender and the status "read". So why is the filter not executed then?

In thebat! this filter worked fine and I wonder, how I can filter read messages in Thunderbird. And what is the condition "status=read" good for, when it's not doing what I expected it to do?

Well, at least you know, what filter I need, so does anyone know a workaround?

Thanks

Spackbirne
mozzmike

Re: ??

Post by mozzmike »

spackbirne wrote:But after I've read them, the two conditions are "true". Then I have a mail in my inbox with the specific sender and the status "read". So why is the filter not executed then?

Thunderbird's filters only are active at two times - when new messages are received and when you press "Run Now." To have what you describe, the filters would have to be always active, so that whenever you read a message, the filter would act on it. Since Thunderbird marks a message as read the instant it is selected, it would be pretty confusing to have the filter act on it the second it is read. The instant you pressed the message it would move to another folder.

I can't think of a workaround that will do exactly what you ask for, though, sorry.
spackbirne

the way thebat" handels this

Post by spackbirne »

In thebat! the filter ist executed, when you've read the message and then move to another message. This is really useful. You read your mail, answer it, then move to the next mail, and th one before is sent to another folder. I really liked this filter.
geiger

Post by geiger »

Seems my filters only work sometimes because either I accidentally turn them off (that little check next to the filter name) or it's happening automatically (I sure don't remember turning specific ones off).

Hopefully it'll work now that I double-checked and closed the program right away. If it reverts back again, I won't be happy :) I color-coordinate and move messages based on their content.
choke

Post by choke »

geiger wrote:Seems my filters only work sometimes because either I accidentally turn them off (that little check next to the filter name) or it's happening automatically (I sure don't remember turning specific ones off).

Hopefully it'll work now that I double-checked and closed the program right away. If it reverts back again, I won't be happy :) I color-coordinate and move messages based on their content.

so i seem to have a very similar problem to yours. i have about 8 filters, most of which just route my mailing list mail to the appropriate folder. i'll use two examples here; filter a, and filter b.. and they're setup in that order, filter a first, filter b second. filter b runs just fine automatically when mail comes in. but filter a doesn't, unless i run the filters manually.... any ideas?

they're literally setup exactly the same. which the pertinent information for each mailing list. all it does is move the mail to another folder based on the recipient..

-adam
harryn

Re: ??

Post by harryn »

spackbirne wrote:And what is the condition "status=read" good for, when it's not doing what I expected it to do?

No solution here, but i do agree very much with the above. It is just as quick to handle these messages by hand and not by a status filter, so get rid of it or implment it better, i would say.
And speaking of: 'Thunderbird marks a message as read the instant it is selected'
Make an option for this as well; maybe after this a status filter will work better. Every email client as an option to mark messages as read after x seconds.

good luck
David.P

Re: filter doesn't work

Post by David.P »

Ten years later, and still no possibility to filter messages with the status "read" in Thunderbird :-X

I read some of my messages in the Gmail Web Interface, then of course they have the status "read" there.

Then later, I boot my main PC, and all of the Gmail messages should be filtered (e.g. copied to local TB folders etc.) by Thunderbird.

However, all Thunderbird filters ONLY act on new IMAP mail that additionally is unread.

The IMAP messages that are new to Thunderbird (but have been read in the Gmail Web Interface) are IGNORED by all Thunderbird filters.

WHY is that so (stupid)?
...and is there any workaround?
Thanks already
David.P
LIMPET235

Re: filter doesn't work

Post by LIMPET235 »

David.P....
Please start a new thread, coz this oldie died, as you noted, 10 years ago.

Locking
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)