Where is Thunderbird 24.7?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Mouse5

Re: Where is Thunderbird 24.7?

Post by Mouse5 »

James wrote:
ArchRival wrote:going by the release notes of Tb31 there aint no point in going to tb31. might as well as stay with tb24.7.0 , probably best to wait fo the next tb esr an then update to it

The 24.0 ESR is only going to be for a couple more updates at most so 38.0 ESR is too long a ways to wait and be behind several fixes in meantime.

i dunno what Fedora/Redhat tends to do. however i did make a Bugzilla about it mainly so people can get the 3.3 Lightning update which is only the real benefit at this point AFAICT
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

The current release notes are misleading, which I expect will be fixed in the next couple weeks. There are plenty of fixes. But more important as has been said by someone else, is TB31 is the new long term branch for fixes. And TB24.x will go unsupported around November.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

That's not disputed. The main issue (aside the lack of documentation for 31.0) is that quite likely many users (and not just organizational ones like the opener of this thread) would prefer to stay on 24.x for those two more cycles in the expectation that major immediate problems are solved within that period, thus consider it safer to make the switch with 31.2 rather than now.

The problem for these users is the inaccessibility of 24.7.0, it's nowhere offered from any website.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

rsx11m wrote:The problem for these users is the inaccessibility of 24.7.0, it's nowhere offered from any website.

Because it was explicitly intended not to be for mainstream users. This approaach was the only way to properly service ESR users after the PTB in version 24 got rid of the seperate ESR code branch.

Now, if users want to "misuse" the ESR branch on their own then they are welcome to do so. But I don't think the team is going to encourage that by announcing 24.7 in that way.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

wsm wrote:Because it was explicitly intended not to be for mainstream users.

...and yet both versions come from ESR branches. Firefox offers on their ESR page downloads for both 31.0 and 24.7.0 versions, so I don't really see the point in withholding the 24.7.0 builds for Thunderbird in this way. Whatever, in the end this seems to be more a political than technical issue, not necessarily with the benefit of the user in mind.
James

Post by James »

The last TB to be ESR was 17.0 though as Releases just continued in ESR fashion since.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

rsx11m wrote:
wsm wrote:Because it was explicitly intended not to be for mainstream users.

...and yet both versions come from ESR branches. Firefox offers on their ESR page downloads for both 31.0 and 24.7.0 versions, so I don't really see the point in withholding the 24.7.0 builds for Thunderbird in this way. Whatever, in the end this seems to be more a political than technical issue, not necessarily with the benefit of the user in mind.

You'd have to raise the question with the technicians that implemented the decision a year ago (yes), which aiui was done on the basis that the team has limited manpower and the manpower needed to do thunderbird 24 ESR exactly the same as 17 was better put to other Thunderbird user issues.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

The reason at that time iirc was rather not having to maintain separate but almost identical release and esr builds and channels, but it was kind of left open what to do when 24.x reaches EOL (unless I've missed that part). Anyway, now it's too late anyway and somewhat academic to discuss the 24-to-31 major update, but maybe that can be revisited for the 31-to-38 migration next year (if anybody still remembers to think about it then).
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

rsx11m wrote:The reason at that time iirc was rather not having to maintain separate but almost identical release and esr builds and channels, but it was kind of left open what to do when 24.x reaches EOL (unless I've missed that part). Anyway, now it's too late anyway and somewhat academic to discuss the 24-to-31 major update, but maybe that can be revisited for the 31-to-38 migration next year (if anybody still remembers to think about it then).

Absolutely. Please raise the question in tb-planning with pertinent details