Font colours of an individual email in TB 31.5

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Andyfirefox

Font colours of an individual email in TB 31.5

Post by Andyfirefox »

Hi

In TB 31.5.0, If you change some of the text colours of an individual email, these changes sill display in the default colour, (black)

I have the format bar showing OK, and it is simple to change the text colour....TB just does not display the changes for me to review what it now looks like with these new colours..

If you email the changed text colour email to a recipient, all the colours all display correctly, fantastic....just does not display the change in Thunderbird, odd!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andy
DanRaisch

Re: Font colours of an individual email in TB 31.5

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Andyfirefox

Post by Andyfirefox »

...no difference at all in safe mode
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Where in Thunderbird are you reviewing the outgoing message? Are you saying that you choose a different color for a font in the composition window but don't see that change appear in the text being composed?
Andyfirefox

Post by Andyfirefox »

...menu/write/create new email.

just type my email and change the colour where I need to. I wish to review what it looks like before I send.
Andyfirefox

Post by Andyfirefox »

...yes no change in the composed text...but if you send it the recipient sees the changes perfectly
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Very strange. I've never heard of an instance where the format bar was available in the composition window but that window did not display the changed text.

Clear the Firefox cache and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.

Note that your saved messages, address books, settings, passwords, etc (if any) are stored in a different directory from the program files and will not be removed by deleting the directory identified above.

This thread viewtopic.php?f=39&t=996475&p=5239885#p5239885 has a more detailed version of the above instructions if needed.
Andyfirefox

Post by Andyfirefox »

..ok thanks
Andyfirefox

Post by Andyfirefox »

Hi Dan ...did EXACTLY how and what you described above...no difference at all.

The composition bar is displayed, in settings, compose emails in Html is checked. v 31.5 is displayed.

One thing, if you compose an html email in Outlook 2010 add various text colours all displays colourful in Outlook...send this to my new Thunderbird installation...received emails shows black text only.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What you see in a received message and what you see when composing a message are controlled by different elements in Thunderbird so comparing those two activities is pointless. With the received message, try menu path View->Message body as->Original HTML.
Andyfirefox

Post by Andyfirefox »

Hi

I don't see it as pointless, as it demonstrates that my Thunderbird cannot display coloured text, either composed or as a received email. So when I send an email to one of my customers they might not see it as it was intended...which is the whole point.

...anyway view/message body as / original HTML....no difference.

FYI I have BOLD text in the email, this displays fine in composition as do all the other actions on the format bar, just the coloured text not visible.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The reason I described it as pointless was that you had not yet stated that Thunderbird was set to display received messages in original HTML. My point was that the two different control systems in Thunderbird could permit you to compose in HTML but view received messages as plain text, in which case outgoing would be in colors while received messages could be in black and white, or vice versa. Now that you've clarified that TB is set to display received messages in HTML, things get even more strange.

If you send one of the messages, composed in HTML with colored fonts, to yourself, do you see the colors?
It sounds as though you can see the colors you are selecting when in the composition window but they don't show in the text after you close the color selection dialogue. Is that correct?

How many accounts do you have set up in that installation of Thunderbird?
Andyfirefox

Post by Andyfirefox »

...OK that's fine

"If you send one of the messages, composed in HTML with colored fonts, to yourself, do you see the colors?" ....YES, if sent to other mail recipient and received and viewed in Outlook 2010, if you send to another address and view in TB, No colours (same composed email)

"It sounds as though you can see the colors you are selecting when in the composition window but they don't show in the text after you close the color selection dialogue. Is that correct?" YES.

Accounts = x 2
Andyfirefox

Post by Andyfirefox »

...any further idea's?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry but I've never seen any reports of that happening before. I'm out of ideas.