TB - Filter rules

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
chikone

TB - Filter rules

Post by chikone »

1. I am interested in the difference between these two filters: delete message and delete message from pop server.
The 1st one after TB download message it will delete it? The 2nd one will delete it from e-mail server (yahoo, hotmail,...) if filter match with any rules which i set?

2. When i make some filter rule do i have to uncheck "Manually run" if i want always filter rules to work? I want when i set filters never to run manually. Every time when TB checks for e-mail to apply filters.

3. What does it mean "Fetch from POP server"? I do not get it word fetch and after checking dictionary. What it will happen when i set this rule?
tanstaafl

Re: TB - Filter rules

Post by tanstaafl »

1. 'delete message' will delete a message in a folder. 'delete message from pop server' will delete the original message still on the mail server. However, if you set 'leave message on server -> until I delete it' in the accounts server settings 'delete message' will delete both the original and the downloaded message.

2. No. Filters in the inbox can be configured to run automatically when the account checks for new mail in the inbox. 'Manually run' is an option meant to let you manually run message filters in other folders.

3. If you configure the server settings to 'only fetch headers' it will check for new mail and update the *.msf file so that the new message is listed in the folder listing. However, if you try to open that message you will discover the message body was not downloaded, and you need to press a link that it provides instead of the message body to download the message body. The 'fetch from Pop server' action is useful if you have 'only fetch headers' set and want to create a filter that only downloads the message bodies for certain messages. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Download_only ... P_messages for information on how you can use this to avoid downloading the message bodies for spam messages.
chikone

Re: TB - Filter rules

Post by chikone »

1 and 2.

If i set the same filter as on the image it wont download an e-mail, it will delete on server and filter will always works when TB checks for e-mails?

3. I understood but i do not have idea why to use it or i am just basic e-mail user :).