Moving Messages Never Completes And Makes Multiple Copies

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
imacamper

Moving Messages Never Completes And Makes Multiple Copies

Post by imacamper »

I'm using Thunderbird 31.6.0 as an imap client to messages stored on Microsoft's Outlook.com email service. I'm attempting to move about 900 old messages out of one folder and into another. I started the move about 4 days ago and Thunderbird just keeps making copy after copy of the old messages in the new folder. It's almost like it's stuck in a loop or something. At last check, I was up to over 40K messages.

I've stopped Thunderbird and restarted it several times. Even rebooted my computer. I've left it alone thinking it would finish. Nope, just keeps going.

Well let me rephrase that. I think Thunderbird loses connection to the server. Then when I click into a folder and Thunderbird logs back in (I see this in the bottom status bar), it seems Thunderbird starts copying again from the beginning. Although my Internet connection stays up, Thunderbird reports errors about "select not permitted in non authenticated state" or "exceeded number of connections" which seem to cause it to lose connection to the server. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I don't know if I'm making any sense. However I've been a Thunderbird user since probably version 3 or so and have always loved it. But lately it's not been so good as it's very slow to load messages. A 2K message can take several minutes to load. I'll watch the network traffic and it might only be downloading at a few bits per second. I have a 6 mbps Internet connection and other downloads are just fine so it's not that. I don't know if this is a specific issue with Microsoft's servers or overall but it makes TB almost unusable. It's because of this I was trying to make smaller folders by archiving by the month but now it seems that's not working out so well either.

Anyway, any ideas on how I can reset Thunderbird and break this loop it seems to be in? And are there better ways to move mail instead of using Thunderbird?

Thanks,

Drew
rodhudson

Re: Moving Messages Never Completes And Makes Multiple Copie

Post by rodhudson »

I've had a similar problem, although not the same. An Email I sent to a colleague with an attachment, was repeated at his end 7 times, with the text getting larger and larger each time.

He was pissed off, and thought I had done it on purpose, and I can do without this sort of hassle !

Also, as a result of looking into this buggy problem, I now find that huge numbers of messages , both incoming and outgoing have been copied into Draft.

Also that several....don't know how many....messages have not turned up at all. Yet are on the server.

So it's quite clear to me.....as it obviously has become to many...that they don't care about T-Bird any more, and it's time to change. Very sad. I've been with it 13 years now, but all good things come to an end. And this one isn't so good any more.