mbox or maildir ?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
pete of ebor

mbox or maildir ?

Post by pete of ebor »

Not sure if this is a new feature in Thunderbird, but I've only just noticed that you now have the option of choosing the file format in which to store your emails. I understand that mbox stores all mails within a single file and that maildir stores each mail as a seperate file, but are there any benefits or downsides to using one rather than the other ? In my gmail account I have over 6400 mails in my inbox folder and over 10,000 in the all mail folder. Is there any benefit to storing these as maildir or mbox ?
DanRaisch

Re: mbox or maildir ?

Post by DanRaisch »

How is that account set up (o to be set up) in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

The latest I can find about maildir.

The major issues left with maildir are that of IMAP.

Thunderbird/Maildir - MozillaWiki
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
pete of ebor

Post by pete of ebor »

My gmail account is set up as IMAP. I really just want to know whether there are any specific advantages or drawbacks to using one or other.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

not a signficant advantage for the average user. given the current state of maildir, in your case your avarge message size would have to be over 300-400k to bother considering.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

My gmail account is set up as IMAP

In that case, there's also the question of whether you require/utilize off line access or simply work with the data on the server. In the latter case, the whole question of message file format may be moot for you.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

wsm wrote:not a signficant advantage for the average user. given the current state of maildir, in your case your avarge message size would have to be over 300-400k to bother considering.

I thought the main attraction of maildir was that you that didn't have to worry about corrupt folders , didn't need to compact folders anymore, and there were no performance penalties when you have a folder larger than 4GB. I suspect maildir performance scales much better than mbox when you have 10K messages in a mail folder.

Why do you think the main advantage is more efficient storage under certain circumstances?