Location of messages

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
jolon

Location of messages

Post by jolon »

I (still) use aTruecrypt virtual drive for my Thunderbird messages. However, sometimes I forget to open this before opening Thunderbird. Where are the messages that are then downloaded saved?
DanRaisch

Re: Location of messages

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Any downloaded messages are stored in your "profile" by default. That's a directory that contains your mail, address books, settings, saved passwords, add-ons etc. Help -> troubleshooting information -> show folder will open windows explorer at your profile directory. If you are using a TrueCrypt virtual drive for your messages I suspect you moved the entire profile there, rather than re-configuring each account to store its messages outside of the profile using the local directory setting in each accounts server settings.

If you are using a IMAP account all of the messages also exist on the IMAP server. If you're using a POP account the "leave messages on server" setting in the accounts server settings determines whether it also keeps the original message on the POP server when it downloads new mail to your inbox in your profile.

You might want to read the paragraphs under "If you're fanatical about privacy:" in thttp://kb.mozillazine.org/Protect_the_ ... ng_methods
jolon

Post by jolon »

Danraisch: POP.

tanstaafl: Thanks, I'll look at that.