A simpler junk mail filter?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Joebolton

A simpler junk mail filter?

Post by Joebolton »

Greetings, all -

Rather than "training" T-Bird to recognize good and bad emails, I just want to tell it that emails from certain addresses are junk and have it delete them in the future, period. I've tried both the built-in filter and a couple of add-ons, and they all want the 'training' routine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe
DanRaisch

Re: A simpler junk mail filter?

Post by DanRaisch »

You may have overlooked this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29 Creating a message filter to act on newly received messages from those specific addresses will enable you to move them to the Junk folder or delete them on receipt.
Joebolton

Post by Joebolton »

Thanks, I'll give it a try. The question is whether or not it'll actually delete an incoming email. It indicates that it would in this sentence:

"For instance, you can have incoming mail automatically sorted into different folders and certain messages tagged, marked as Junk, forwarded or even deleted."

But then it never uses the word "delete" on the page again, except when talking about deleting a certain prefs file. Obviously, just having the junk email go into a specific folder wouldn't do any good if it still shows up as 'unread', since I'd still have to click on it to mark it as read, at which point I could just hit the keyboard's Delete key as I do now. Ideally, it should just flat-out delete it and never mention it again, as the stock Junk Filter + SpamAssassin do.

Joe
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

"Delete message" is one of the actions available in the drop down list in the filter creation/edit dialogue. (Menu path Tools->Message Filters)

Your probable criteria would be "From"+"Is"+ the offending address, then the action selection would be "Delete message". Try to set one up to do something less destructive (like add a tag or star) before letting TB actually delete messages, just to be sure that you have the criteria properly set.
Joebolton

Post by Joebolton »

Thanks, Dan, I'll take it out for a spin tomorrow.

As far as TB goes, I've been a big fan of it almost since the beginning. I even have an 1,825-word tutorial on it here:

http://www.docmercury.com/rainy/thunder ... il-program

Both Outlook Express and The Bat did a fair job of handling multiple email addresses, but T-Bird does it just right.

Thanks again for the help,
Joe