Backup Mail Files from one PC to another

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
johnpd

Backup Mail Files from one PC to another

Post by johnpd »

I have Thunderbird running on my main computer as a POP3 to my ISP. I would like to regularly backup everything to the Thunderbird install on my new laptop in case something were to happen to the desktop. I realize IMAP might be a better way to access mail from multiple devices, but I would rather have offline access to e-mails when needed.

I can't quite use MozBackup to copy one to another since the accounts are not quite set up the same way on each system although they are very close. I have a number of accounts set up as well as numerous "Saved Messages" folders. I figure on copying anything that changes in the "Local Folders" (which includes the "Saved Messages" folders) as well just the Inbox and Inbox.msf files in the various account folders.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
JohnD
DanRaisch

Re: Backup Mail Files from one PC to another

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you access those accounts from both computers but at different times? In other words, would there be a risk of losing recent messages on the laptop because you

See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Synchronizing ... _computers
johnpd

Post by johnpd »

Hi Dan,

I set up the TB accounts on the laptop as IMAP so that would not happen. I only physically download the mail to my desktop. I tried playing with TB on the laptop, setting up all my "Saved Messages" folders and then copying over the saved e-mails (all the .sbd folders and their contents which are in the "Local Folders" folder), but nothing shows up.

JohnD
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can use the information in this article to bring those "Saved Messages" into the Thunderbird profile on the laptop -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders