problems caused by TCP Optimizer 4.0.5

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
ThurstonX

problems caused by TCP Optimizer 4.0.5

Post by ThurstonX »

Thought I'd share my recent experiences with copying my full Thunderbird backup over to a fresh install of Windows 7.

TL;DR: if you have problems after running TCP Optimizer 4.0.5, use it to reset to Windows Default settings. If that fixes your problem, and you're running a supported OS, try running TCP Optimizer 3.0.8.

As you'd expect, after installing Thunderbird and replacing the default folder under ..\AppData\Roaming with my backup, I was able to see all my emails and accounts. Oddly, however, I was not able to download or send new emails. The Error Console reported this when I checked an individual account:

Error: : Component returned failure code: 0x8055000a [nsIMsgIncomingServer.getNewMessages]
Source File: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.js
Line: 2723

A reinstall and Thunderbird safe mode did not help, but a search led me to a forum post about trying Windows in Safe Mode with Networking. That still didn't work, but I started getting some prompts from the provider's POP server (for password), but responses were taking a long time, and I knew my passwords were all preserved. Then I got a message about losing connection to the SMTP server after it had been established. That's when the light bulb went on over my head.

I usually run TCP Optimizer 3.0.8 on my PCs, but I found there is a new version (4.0.5), and it works with Windows 10. Perfect, since I just got a cheap ASUS laptop that runs Win 10. The new TCP Optimizer caused all sorts of problems on that Win 10 laptop, but reverting to the Windows Defaults (nice that that option is available) cleared it up. So, while still in Safe Mode, I ran the new Optimizer, did the reset, and rebooted into Win 7 proper. et voila! Thunderbird worked without a hitch. I then ran TCP Optimizer 3.0.8, rebooted, and Thunderbird is still humming along without complaint.

Hope that helps someone down the road.
tanstaafl

Re: problems caused by TCP Optimizer 4.0.5

Post by tanstaafl »

Thanks for sharing that.

I used to use similar tools when I had DSL but haven't bothered after getting cable. I consistently get 27/6 Mbs and am usually limited by the speed of the web host/server I'm connecting to, so it didn't seem worth risking a less reliable connection to get better performance. What type of broadband do you have, and how much difference did running the (3.0.8) optimizer make over the default settings?