Open new messages in existing message tab

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
JayUSA

Open new messages in existing message tab

Post by JayUSA »

Hi,

I like Thunderbird's tabbed view. It makes it easy to switch from the inbox to the calendar to the address book. But I'd really like every message that I open to share a single tab! I don't want to open 20 separate tabs to read 20 messages! And I certainly don't want to close 20 tabs! Can anyone advise how I can use the tabbed interface, but restrict all message views to a single tab? Thanks!

Jay
makaiguy

Re: Open new messages in existing message tab

Post by makaiguy »

Menu path:

Tools | Options | Display | Advanced

Open messages in:
  • ( ) A new tab ( ) A new message window (•) An existing message window
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
JayUSA

Post by JayUSA »

Thanks, but that's not a solutions. That option opens messages in a whole new (untabbed) window.

I'm looking to dedicate one tab to reading messages.

It could easily be implemented with a new option called "An existing tab". Even though there have been requests for years, this option is not available, Strange.

Jay
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I was surprised they didn't offer that option when they added tabs support too.

I suggest you try installing the compact header add-on (it adds a widget in the header pane to switch between compact (1 or 2 lines) and expanded/normal view) , enable the message pane (press F8 or select view -> layout -> message pane) and see if you like it better than using new tabs. You can resize the size of the message pane by dragging the top border. It takes a little getting used to but I find it much more efficient. It only makes sense though if you have a decent sized display.