Can I move the quick filter to the mail toolbar?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
JayUSA

Can I move the quick filter to the mail toolbar?

Post by JayUSA »

Hi,

I love the Quick Filter, and I always have it open. I'm now wondering if I can possibly move the Quick Filter to the mail toolbar. Thanks!

Jay
DanRaisch

Re: Can I move the quick filter to the mail toolbar?

Post by DanRaisch »

If by "mail toolbar" you mean the toolbar in a message opened for viewing in a separate window, I would not think that would be possible. It wouldn't make sense to display it there as the message list pane would not be visible in that window.
JayUSA

Post by JayUSA »

No, what I mean is... move the QuickFilter search field (the box where you enter you search terms) up one level to the toolbar that hosts the QuickFilter show/hide icon.

Can that be done?

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Apparently not. It's listed separately in the View->Toolbars menu and doesn't respond to movement when in "Customize" mode. My impression is that it is part of the message list pane and is not moveable.

Someone might offer a hack for the code to move it but there doesn't seem to be anything within the program to allow for such a move.
JayUSA

Post by JayUSA »

Thanks, Dan. Perhaps this thread will tempt someone to develop a hack! ;)
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

JayUSA wrote:Thanks, Dan. Perhaps this thread will tempt someone to develop a hack! ;)
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=570815 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=575355 have ideas long these lines. But I'd say somewhat unlikely, given in the many years of quick filters the interest has been somewhat underwhelming. Plus the capabilities of quick filter require considerable UI space.