Use of key words in body to trigger spam alert

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
silverfox2017

Use of key words in body to trigger spam alert

Post by silverfox2017 »

I'm getting multiple emails every day, apparently sent by myself to myself, offering me fake employment with "a large International company".

I cannot get the "Create filter from message" to "delete from POP server" either messages which wrongly show as from myself - or those with "a large International company" in the body of the message. I just cannot get Thunderbird to filter correctly.

I wonder if there is something more I have to do to get the filters I've created, switched on.

This is such a PITA, I may have no option but to close my existing POP3 email address and move to IMAP (Gmail only).
DanRaisch

Re: Use of key words in body to trigger spam alert

Post by DanRaisch »

It sounds as though you are misinterpreting what the filter command is supposed to do. It won't delete the message from the server BEFORE it reaches Thunderbird because it won't even see the email before it is in Thunderbird. "Delete from server" is used to remove from the server a message that has already reached TB. It might useful to someone whose email provider has a low storage limit and the user wants to store the received message in TB but remove it from the server to recover the storage space on the server.

Why not use Thunderbird's built in Junk Mail Controls and let it learn to identify those message that you mark as "Junk". After some training time the automation will move those messages to the Junk folder OR delete them from Thunderbird.

Also, switching to Gmail IMAP won't guarantee that you won't see those objectionable messages once whoever is sending them gets at your new Gmail address.
silverfox2017

Post by silverfox2017 »

Thank you very much for your prompt in helpful reply.
silverfox2017

Post by silverfox2017 »

Dan,

Most of the junk mail appears to be sent from my own email address. Presumably the senders are spoofing. Is there a "blacklist" function, so I can block (or divert automatically to junk folder) incoming emails from specific senders, please ?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Set up a filter to either move the messages from the specific sender to the Junk folder or delete them.