TB sending LAN IP in email header

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
theGander

TB sending LAN IP in email header

Post by theGander »

***Edit- original below***
looked around more deeply on the web, and tested more possible combinations (send from/received by). turns out that some email smtp hosts will remove the Received: field if it contains internal IPs or if they are getting the mail directly from a valid users' email client.

imho, it still seems wrong to be sending internal LAN info, but i guess it's been that way since forever, and i just didn't notice it until now.

is there a way to mark this question as closed/answered/???. i don't want to delete it, in case someone else has the same question.

hi, i have email accounts from several different domains configured in thunderbird (v45.6.0). if i send mail from most of them (gmail, dreamhost, at&t) to myself, the "Received:" header looks like what i'd expect (names & IPs of sending and receiving servers).

but when i send from an account hosted at godaddy, upon arrival the mail header has an extra "Received:" field. which strangely includes the LAN IP of my pc in place of the machine name (10... is my LAN, 76... is my twc IP).

Received: from [10.0.xxx.xxx] ([76.90.xxx.xxx])
by :SMTPAUTH: with SMTP
<someID>; Mon, 02 Jan 2017 19:38:56

this is being passed thru a linksys router uplinked to a motorola surfboard modem/router. would have thought one or both were NATing the LAN address, which makes me wonder if thunderbird is adding the header in response to some request from godaddy (it only happens when using godaddy). what's going on and how to change it?

tx ahead for any info or links.