How do I change an email password?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Sandy_2016!

How do I change an email password?

Post by Sandy_2016! »

I'm literally going crazy. I've been trying to change my Gmail password in Thunderbird for over 24 hours now. All of the stuff I pull up on Google tells me I'm supposed to be seeing certain options, but I'm not seeing any of those options! I've never experienced anything like this before, where everything I find on the web indicates that I'm supposed to be seeing something other than what I'm seeing. One link tells me to go to Tools, then choose Security. But I don't see a Security option when I go to Tools. I can scroll up to "Options," but I don't see a Security option there either. Supposedly there is a "Passwords" option once I get to Security, but I can't find it. I've searched everywhere. I've tried every possible place. I've also tried "View Settings for This Account," but there is nothing there about passwords anywhere. I've been using Thunderbird for years and I've had no issues with it until I had to change my Gmail password on the web, and now I find that there is no way to change it in Thunderbird. But that can't possibly be right. Is there anyone else out there who has this issue? How do I change my password when I don't see a Security option?
eisneun

Re: How do I change an email password?

Post by eisneun »

this is what you should see when clicking tools>options>security>passwords:
http://www.onlinecomputertips.com/images/s112.jpg
from there click on saved passwords>show passwords>yes>
double click on the password you want to change in order to edit it.
another method to change passwords in thunderbird is to go to google in your browser and change your google password there. when you try to access your gmail in thunderbird, a pop up will prompt you to enter your new password. something like this:
http://tekeye.biz/wp-content/uploads/20 ... failed.png
How can ace be one and eleven? Huh?
What kind of god would allow that?
Sandy_2016!

Post by Sandy_2016! »

But that's my problem. I don't see the part about Security or the part about Passwords. When I click on Tools, here is what I see: Address Book, Saved Files, Chat Status, Join Chat, Run Junk Mail Controls on Folder, Delete Mail Marked as Junk in Folder, Import, Error Console, Clear Recent History. I do not see Security, and I've looked everywhere. I do not see the word "passwords" anywhere. As I said in my post, I'm not seeing what I'm supposed to be seeing and it's literally making me lose my mind! HELP!!!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The tools menu should have both Options and Account Settings near the bottom.

Try running in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to see if your problem is due to the side effects of an add-on. If that doesn't help, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_wi ... ot_working . You might need to delete the xulstore.json file. It stores the toolbar , window layout and size/position settings. That will create a new version of that file with default settings when Thunderbird starts.
eisneun

Post by eisneun »

have you tried keyboard shortcuts?
hold the alt key>press T for tools>press O for options.
How can ace be one and eleven? Huh?
What kind of god would allow that?
Sandy_2016!

Post by Sandy_2016! »

Okay, I used the keyboard shortcut and I was finally able to get to the password option. I deleted the old one, but when I try to enter the new one into the popup window, it won't accept it. I actually changed one of my other email passwords and I was able to enter the new one into the popup window with no issues. But for some reason, it isn't accepting my new Gmail password. What can I do?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What are the detailed symptoms of the failure? i.e. will it not let you type the password, not save the password, disable the checkbox to save the password or .....

Do you have cookies enabled for google.com in Thunderbird? See tools -> options -> privacy -> show cookies (or exceptions). It needs that for the OAuth2 authentication popup window. It will use your password to create a OAuth2 token that it will store as if it was a password. Part of that process though is popping up that window.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail
Sandy_2016!

Post by Sandy_2016! »

Cookies for Google are enabled. When I try to enter the new password in the popup window, the window just keeps popping back up and the message says Login to server imap.googlemail.com failed. Then it gives me the options Retry, Enter New Password, or Cancel. I've entered the new password a million times at this point, but it keeps doing the same thing.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'd start by logging into Gmail using a browser to verify your username/password are correct, and to remove a captcha if one exists. If that works then logout, delete the saved password in Thunderbird, restart (since the deleted password is still in memory) and try again to add the new password.

Are you using two factor authentication? In that case you'd have to enter the application password, not your gmail accounts password, in Thunderbird.

If none of this helps then log into https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps using a browser and select "Allow to let less secure apps access your Google account", logout, and then configure the gmail account in Thunderbird to use "normal password" instead of OAuth2 for authentication. Using a password is just as secure as OAuth2, except for the possibility for somebody to use Tools -> Options -> Security -> Passwords -> Saved Passwords to view your saved password.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail