Login succeeds when failed notice cancelled

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
emgeesmith

Login succeeds when failed notice cancelled

Post by emgeesmith »

Hi All and thanks to Mozilla for a great product.

Using Thunderbird 45.7.1 on laptop for two email accounts (hotmail and live) and set to log in manually each time I open Thunderbird.

After a few months of repeated "login failed" returns, which seem to happen on whichever account Thunderbird presents first for login, I found that by simply clicking the cancel button on the "login failed" message, I'm logged in ok ...strange :?

Not a problem but not seen any posts on this (pls correct if wrong) and thought it might be worth a mention.

Best regards,

Ian
makaiguy

Re: Login succeeds when failed notice cancelled

Post by makaiguy »

As a guess.. if you are doing this when first turning on your computer, TBird may be trying to contact that first server before your computer has reestablished its internet connection, so the login fails. By the time you cancel out and retry, the internet connection is established.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
emgeesmith

Post by emgeesmith »

Hi Doug, thanks for the consideration. Good guess but unfortunately not the answer.
I manually start Thunderbird only if/when I wish to do emails, which is usually well after internet has been connected.
Indeed, I can close Thunderbird and re-open it anytime with same thing happening.
Probably some simple explanation?
Meanwhile I know not to keep clicking OK and re-entering the password ad-infinitum LOL ...just click cancel.
It will ask me again if I send an email however I assume this is normal and happy with that.
Thanks again Doug
Cheers, Ian
emgeesmith

Post by emgeesmith »

Update... believe it or not, today (one after posting) my passwords were accepted without a problem.

I will update here if it starts the same again.

Cheers, Ian
emgeesmith

Post by emgeesmith »

Conclusion:
Only happened once more to date and I can live with that.
Because logon was actually succeeding when T-bird thought it had failed, I'm guessing it was either misinterpreted or lost server returns.
Thanks again to Doug.
Cheers, Ian