Folders for backup email

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
alaios

Folders for backup email

Post by alaios »

Hi,
I would like to backup anything related to the thunderbird (profiles, emails) in a way that restoring back everything after a hard disk failure will be possible.

In my profile.ini file I can see:

Code: Select all

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=Default User
IsRelative=0
[b]Path=C:\Mail\profile[/b]
Default=1
while inside my thunderbird Local Folders the following path is set: C:\Mail\profile\Mail\Local Folders-1

now my thunderbird folder is located at:
C:\Users\Hidden\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird

which of the three above highlighted paths I should keep? Are these enough to restore afterwards everything?
Regards
Alex
LIMPET235

Re: Folders for backup email

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Please ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
Heaps of links on what to back-up individually, if required.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tanstaafl

Re: Folders for backup email

Post by tanstaafl »

help -> troubleshooting information -> show folder will open your systems file manager ("file explorer" if you are using Windows 10) at your current profile. You can backup the profile by doing something as simple as copying and pasting the directory (and its contents) using your file manager, to a safe location. One reason MozBackup became popular was because it removed the need to know where your profile was stored, and help -> troubleshooting information did not exist back then. However, if you want to regularly backup your profile, save space by making a compressed backup or a incremental backup, or automate backing it up, using backup software is useful.