Thunderbird going 64-bit or not ?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
pete of ebor

Thunderbird going 64-bit or not ?

Post by pete of ebor »

Just updated to TB52, and I've noticed that clicking Help > About Thunderbird gives the Version box, but it now says "52.0 (32-bit)" - Is the implication of this that there is an "official" 64-bit version on the way ? I already use Firefox 64-bit, but was under the impresion that TB was not going 64-bit. It's not a problem as the 32-bit version works fine on my 64-bit Win 10 PC
James

Re: Thunderbird going 64-bit or not ?

Post by James »

It showing you have 32-bit or 64-bit version in About on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux is likely a carry over from Firefox as Fx 52.0 and later shows this in Firefox About window now. Some Firefox users on 64-bit Windows as a result thought they were using Win64 Firefox all along (earliest Win64 Release was Fx 42.0) and thought they were downgraded to 32-bit Firefox 52 on Windows.

64-bit was needed to run on 64-bit Mac OSX and Linux but not needed so much for Windows.

The Thunderbird community has its hands full enough as is in getting Releases out to be looking into working on Win64 for Release.
wsmwk

Re: Thunderbird going 64-bit or not ?

Post by wsmwk »

James wrote:It showing you have 32-bit or 64-bit version in About on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux is [A] likely a carry over from Firefox as Fx 52.0 and later shows this in Firefox About window now. Some Firefox users on 64-bit Windows as a result thought they were using Win64 Firefox all along (earliest Win64 Release was Fx 42.0) and thought they were downgraded to 32-bit Firefox 52 on Windows.

The Thunderbird community has its hands full enough as is in getting Releases out to be looking into working on Win64 for Release.

Both A and B are absolutely correct.

> Is the implication of this that there is an "official" 64-bit version on the way ?
No. And there are no immediate plans to do so. But it is also possible that could change at any time.