A new modern TB themeis out

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Ezh

A new modern TB themeis out

Post by Ezh »

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/a-mo ... theme-font

Looks OK for touch screens. I actually prefer more content in a window, but I like someone has done it.
tanstaafl

Re: A new modern TB themeis out

Post by tanstaafl »

That appears to be similar to what Monterail did but implemented as custom .css, not as a real theme. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 325184#c74. It has a Monterail.xpi file in the attachments that you can install normally. One of the other differences is it also has a large background image of the Thunderbird icon near the bottom of the folder pane.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

tanstaafl wrote:That appears to be similar to what Monterail did but implemented as custom .css, not as a real theme. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 325184#c74. It has a Monterail.xpi file in the attachments that you can install normally. One of the other differences is it also has a large background image of the Thunderbird icon near the bottom of the folder pane.
Is this better? Are themes going the way of the Dodo, like extensions? If so, I would think this might be better. Yes? No?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm still using Monterail. Themes and extensions aren't going away but it can be a pain for the author to maintain them since the developers don't notify authors beforehand when they are going to change a API that a add-on might depend upon. I view a new theme, especially one that got the interest of so many developers on the tb-planning mailing list as a good thing. There aren't enough of them that are actively maintained.

However, I don't view the clone of Monterail using .css that the article describes as very useful since it can't be installed as a normal theme.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tanstaafl wrote:That appears to be similar to what Monterail did but implemented as custom .css, not as a real theme. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 325184#c74. It has a Monterail.xpi file in the attachments that you can install normally. One of the other differences is it also has a large background image of the Thunderbird icon near the bottom of the folder pane.
The Menu Bar toolbar buttons all appear to have dark toolbar button text and I think that the text there is supposed to be far lighter with that background. If other people are also seeing the dark text there....I think I know why that would be.

Confirm?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes, I'm seeing dark text that is very hard to see.

I'm out of town using a laptop so what I see may be different from my PC. When I added the Add Star and Stop buttons to the menu bar I can barely see the text for them. The stop icon is visible. If I start to customize the toolbar again (before pressing the Done button) it temporarily makes the text for those buttons even darker, making it a little easier to see.

I never see text for those buttons lighter than the background like File, Edit, View, Go, Tools, Message and Help are. They're easy to read and appear to be the same as in the folder pane.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tanstaafl wrote:Yes, I'm seeing dark text that is very hard to see.
I've only had a quick look, but I'll go straight to the fix and then the explanation. Put this is your userChrome.css file under the namespace line and you're done -

Code: Select all

/*Franks Montrail Text Colour Fix...*/
toolbar[brighttext] > .toolbarbutton-1 .toolbarbutton-text,
toolbar[brighttext] .toolbarbutton-1 .toolbarbutton-text {
  color: #FFFFFF !important;}
In themes, color defines the colour of the text. Here the text colour for the dark Menu Bar and Tabs Toolbar was defined, but the toolbarbuttons and toolbarbutton text were then told to use a different, darker colour (for use of the far lighter toolbars?). As the code reads the hidden stack in order then it will obey the last command for colour, or indeed, for anything else.

The usual fix is to 'walk the stack' right down to where you want the command to hit. So, if you want a light font on a particular toolbar then directly tell the .toolbarbutton-text on that toolbar what colour to use.

Here, I took advantage of an odd quirk in Thunderbird's code. In Firefox the brighttext attribute (it does the light buttons and light text) only shows up on a toolbar if the user is using a dark Persona aka 'lightweight theme'. In T/Bird, it gets triggered by any dark toolbar background and that was the case here.

Incidentally, personally I found myself going a bit giddy with the UI dark toolbar backgrounds constantly changing colour if focused or not. If that applies to you, then just make the inactive background the same as the active, like this -

(Note: this is a very quick 'fix', to do it properly you'd need to do the folder pane side, plus all the toolbarbuttons and text going in and out of focus as well. )

Code: Select all

/*Franks quick more consistent toolbar background fix...*/ 
#navigation-toolbox > #tabs-toolbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme):-moz-window-inactive,
#navigation-toolbox > #mail-toolbar-menubar2:not(:-moz-lwtheme):-moz-window-inactive {
    background-color: #006378 !important; }
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The first fix works fine. Thanks.