Thunderbird gone crazy

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
maurylen

Thunderbird gone crazy

Post by maurylen »

Thunderbird is out of control. Sometimes won't open any messages. Seems to be "having a fit," flashes on/off numerous times,(22) then only the files are on screen, e.g. inbox, Drafts, Sent,etc but no information on screen. Wait for 5 minutes then the subjects are available,sometimes. When the folders are opened the process of clicking then reading is, right click to get an option, then click open in new window. Ran system restore, no change
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird gone crazy

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
maurylen

Post by maurylen »

Hi DanRaisch, sorry about the delay. This problem is very frustrating, the link you posted failed, Seems that anything to do with Thunderbird is corrupted. The only way to get it off screen is ctrl-alt-del. maurylen
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What did you mean by "failed"? That links works for me. Have you tried it again?
If you can't access that link, close Thunderbird, wait a few moments for all files to be committed to disk. Hold down the Shift key and launch Thunderbird which should come up in Mozilla Safe Mode.
maurylen

Post by maurylen »

I guess I'm not very good at fixing problems _ I used shift then reopened TBird - the box confirmed success - now in TBird and most seems to be working okay - https://webmail.xtra.co.nz is ahead 9.04 of TBird emails 8.30, is that significant? - now that it seems stable I'll open/close a bit. Working okay but no new emails. Will emails still be delivered?
re failed - just my incompetence - just wondering where I go from here
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

https://webmail.xtra.co.nz is ahead 9.04 of TBird emails 8.30, is that significant?
I can't tell, because I have no idea what you are referring to there. What doe those figures 9.04 and 8.30, refer to?

When things work properly in Safe Mode but not in Standard Mode it often indicates that an installed extension is causing problems. Try disabling all extensions but one and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
maurylen

Post by maurylen »

numbers refer to emails time delivered
Extension is Lightning, the only one. Disabled now. Maybe that started the problem. If that's the case I just want to say THANKS a lot for your help
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you have recently updated Thunderbird, make sure that you have the latest version of the Lightning extension installed -- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... lightning/
maurylen

Post by maurylen »

Thunderbird is up to date and is working. If addons can cause problems why would I need to install them? Unless they're really necessary. Lightning doesn't as far as I can see. Any suggestions?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Most of the time extensions don't cause problems. The issues show up most often when one installed extension conflicts with another, or when Thunderbird is updated but the authors of the extensions don't promptly update their extensions. The conflicts may be caused when more than one extension is installed for the same or a closely related function.
People install and use extensions because they add functionality not available in the basic Thunderbird program, or when they want it to do something in a different way than the default. They might wish to have the accounts in the left hand pane listed in an order other than the way they were added to Thunderbird, or they may want to be able to use mailing lists but have the option to omit a few of the names on that list in a particular message.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Lightning is necessary to those who need a calendar in their email program. It can also be synched with phones. If you don't want or need that functionality, go ahead and uninstall it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can still access calendar functionality without Lightning but you'll only be able to update or edit things when you have an Internet connection. The extensions Google Calendar tab and Provider for Google are available.
maurylen

Post by maurylen »

to the moderators, DanRaisch and Daifne. Thanks for that description of AddOns. Dont think I'll worry about them at present but with your advice I'l keep an open mind. Once again, my thanks, cheers
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
maurylen

Post by maurylen »

wsmwk - where are you? Got an email re wsmwk relevant to my earlier post. I'm interested in your comments