MozillaZine

Valueing the help we users get from you experts

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
windspeed

Post Posted June 11th, 2017, 7:38 pm

I have had a few issues recently and a few people (the moderators mostly) have helped me enormously and saved me both hours of trial-and-error time and lots of data. While I understand you are all 'dedicated to the cause', there is still great benefit to us users and I would love there to be some means by which I could pay for the advice that I got. While I am not sure what the protocol is about rewarding those who do all the helping on help forums, I for one would be very happy with a "would you like to make a donation?" box.
The other issue I have come across recently is the enormous amount of work that goes into creating, updating and maintaining programs like TB.
I would gladly make an annual voluntary donation to Thunderbird for the great benefit it is to me. I understand there are heaps of individuals who contribute to open source and I certainly have no idea how the donations could be distributed but if we users have to someday choose between making a donation or losing TB, I know what my choice will be.
An easier issue to solve is donations to individuals who develop add ons. I have followed the posting trail about a few backup programs (Mozbackup, TEBE...) recently and I read that a few of these are no longer 'supported' or updated because the individual just doesn't have the time.
Again, I am sure that a fair percentage of us rusted-on users would gladly make a donation so these individuals, or someone else, could keep the programs going forward.
At the very least, a huge thanks to the few of you who make it so much easier for the many of us.
Chris

windspeed

Post Posted June 13th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Well, silly me eh? A friend has pointed out to me that there is a donation system that is already available for both Thunderbird and some addons. It's simple and easy to use and I guess the only reason I didn't find it was I must have, as my mum used to say 'only had a boy look'!

Return to Thunderbird General