TB broken remote images and Kaspersky 2018

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
MdniteEagl

TB broken remote images and Kaspersky 2018

Post by MdniteEagl »

Thought I'd post this in case anyone has the same issue, after a few days with Kaspersky tech support who diligently worked to resolve the problem.

I updated Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 to 2018, and noticed immediately that most of my HTML email (usually from trusted vendors, e.g. Amazon, UPS, and my banks) all suffered from broken remote images, when they had worked before I updated. Contacted Kaspersky since that was the change that had been made, and they had me go through several diagnostic steps. It turned out the Web Anti-Virus component was the one breaking the remote images. They asked me to run their trace logger and open a new email that I would expect to have remote images, with all other components disabled. Sent that trace log, and that was the info they needed.

The issue: The 2018 version of Kaspersky can't self-import its certificate into Thunderbird.

The solution: manually importing the certificate, which in Windows 10 (likely 7 and 8.1 as well) can be found at:
C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP18.0.0\Data\Cert\
The file name is "Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Root Certificate.cer" - although it may or may not have "(fake)" at the beginning of the file name... I was assured this was not a fake file when I saw it and verified with Kaspersky tech support.
Manually importing the certificate is done in TB at Options -> Advanced -> Certificates tab ->Manage Certificates button -> Authorities tab -> Import... button. Browse to the above file and click all the necessary OKs.

Once that was done, all the remote images reappeared in HTML emails, with all the Kaspersky components back at the usual settings. Hope that helps another Kaspersky/Thunderbird user.
Tower: HP EliteDesk 705 G3 - Win 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 1500 - 64GB (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 - Win 10 Pro for Workstations - Intel Xeon E3-1535M - 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Diane Vigil

Re: TB broken remote images and Kaspersky 2018

Post by Diane Vigil »

Thanks for posting this.
tanstaafl

Re: TB broken remote images and Kaspersky 2018

Post by tanstaafl »