Filters For Multiple Email Accounts

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Exxeter

Filters For Multiple Email Accounts

Post by Exxeter »

We use multiple email accounts (IMAP) and our practice is to retrieve mail and immediately move it to a local folder, removing it from the server. Additionally, the mail is placed in local folders based on from, subject, etc. The problem is that Thunderbird does not appear to support "universal" filters so that a single filter is able to move all mail meeting set parameters to the appropriate local folder. Unless someone has a better idea, that leaves me with two choices. One is to duplicate filters for all email accounts, and the other is to filter each account to move all email to a local "inbox" and then create filters for that folder. Neither of these seems efficient. Anyone have a better idea?
DanRaisch

Re: Filters For Multiple Email Accounts

Post by DanRaisch »

Create the filter(s) in one account and then copy the filter definition file from that account to all of the others. See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29
Exxeter

Post by Exxeter »

Thanks. I was afraid that was going to be the only way. Well, it beats typing everything numerous times.
Exxeter

Post by Exxeter »

"FYI, I settled on a single filter which moved new email to a local folder entitled "Unsorted", and copied it to all external email accounts. Then, I created local filters to sort things into the appropriate local folders. The only downside to this is that the local filters have to be invoked manually, but that's only a single mouse click. It save having to copy multiple filters to each account.