moving from outlook to TB

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
PotterLily

moving from outlook to TB

Post by PotterLily »

fed up of the outlook crashes in my MAC. last time lost few crucial mails. it got stuck again with all my mails at stake. Thunderbird seems smoother. i wished I had moved to it earlier. TB why don't you work on direct importing of outlook files in mac the way you import outlook files easily in windows?
about to buy the Outlook Mac Database recovery tool by Gladwev for this migration.
please make some arrangement for this as well. :cry:
PotterLily

Re: moving from outlook to TB

Post by PotterLily »

I hope Thunderbird won't push me to that trouble. wish me luck. I also need a backup tool for mails only. does mozbackup run faultlessly?
Derek304

Post by Derek304 »

PotterLily wrote: about to buy the Outlook Mac Database recovery tool by Gladwev for this migration.
is that tool worth paying? i lost somewhere around 250 crucial office mails last time leading to a heavy compensation on me. I could easily see the existence of those outlook files. however, when finally my outlook started working, they turned unrecognizable. they were empty inside. not even a single bit of information in those 250+ mails.
let me know if it works fine.
Sugoi

Post by Sugoi »

Try converting the Outlook files:
https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/o ... o-e5ae03ae

and then importing those converted files to Thunderbird using this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbi ... porttools/
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files

The simplest solution would be to add a IMAP account to Outlook, move all of the messages to it, exit, and then add the same account in Thunderbird. It can use the messages as is, no need for importing/exporting or converting them. IMAP accounts store messages in remote folders on the IMAP server, so when you move a message from a POP account to a remote folder (IMAP account) you are uploading it. A Outlook.com or Gmail IMAP account would be a good choice. However, be aware Gmail has a undocumented bandwidth limit. G Suite (the commercial version of Gmail) documents it as 500MB/day of uploading via IMAP and 2500MB/day of downloading via IMAP.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I agree with moving to IMAP. For other items, export calendars in both ICS and CSV formats (one works better than the other for import, but I don't remember which one), and export contacts as CSV file. Alas, the contacts hierarchy won't be saved, so if you have multiple folders for, say, business and personal names, everything will either be exported as a single flat file (older versions of outlook like 2003 and 2007) or the content of folders won't be exported reliably (newer versions, including Outlook 2016)
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
PotterLily

Post by PotterLily »

Derek304 wrote:
PotterLily wrote: about to buy the Outlook Mac Database recovery tool by Gladwev for this migration.
is that tool worth paying? i lost somewhere around 250 crucial office mails last time leading to a heavy compensation on me. I could easily see the existence of those outlook files. however, when finally my outlook started working, they turned unrecognizable. they were empty inside. not even a single bit of information in those 250+ mails.
let me know if it works fine.

yeah that worked really fine. the outlook recovery tool by Gladwev rebuilt all my hollow mails. i got them all converted and imported them to thunderbird. this seems much better.