'Proper' Emails still going to Junk

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
rodhudson

Re: 'Proper' Emails still going to Junk

Post by rodhudson »

I'll look into all these various solutions and companies, which will obviously take a little while.

But I AM interested in the Gmail idea that you mentioned, whereby I keep the same ISP, but Emails automatically route through Gmail etc, as I do already have a Gmail Account.

Or would this need to be a new,paid for Gmail Account ?
But if you could let me know how that would work, and how to set it up I would be grateful.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You can use it with a free Gmail account.

Basically you need to

1) Tell Gmail Mail Fetcher to periodically/automatically fetch mail from your ISP POP mailbox and put in it in the gmail inbox per http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answ ... swer=21289

2) Register your ISP From: address at Settings -> Accounts -> "Add another email address" in Gmail webmail. This is needed so that the Gmail SMTP server doesn't replace the From: address with your Gmail address when sending a message.

3) Add a multiple identity for your ISP From: address to your Gmail account in Thunderbird. The multiple identity is what specifies an additional email address that you can use when sending from that account. You can also use it to customize other account settings that should be used when using that From: address.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_iden ... il_account .

If you reply to a message sent to your ISP From: address it will automatically default to that address. If you compose a new message it will default to your Gmail address, you need to select the ISP From: address from the drop down list in the message. If you want to store messages for each identity in a separate child folder you could use the Folder Account add-on to automatically specify what identity (From: address) should be used when sending new mail from that folder.

4) Move the downloaded mail from your ISP POP account to your Gmail account (in Thunderbird)

5) Once you've verified you can send and receive using your ISP From: address in the Gmail account, empty the trash in the ISP account, compact the folders and delete the ISP POP account. Unless somebody looks at the raw message source they shouldn't be able to tell that you used the Gmail SMTP server to send message from your ISP From: address. The main downside of using Mail Fetcher is there is a short delay before mail in your ISP inbox shows up in the Gmail inbox.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Replace_sever ... ne_account for details . It was written for somebody wanting to replace several accounts with one account, who does not already have a Gmail account.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

One question. [So far.....]

I have 4 separate Domains/Accounts running off the same Main ISP Account.

Will the same [ already existing] Gmail Account be able to handle them all, or do I need a separate Gmail Account for each ?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It (mail fetcher) lets you fetch mail from 5 accounts into your gmail account. That is the reason why its useful to replace multiple accounts with a single account.

It would not know about the existence of sub-accounts or child accounts (because they're implementation specific), each would be a independent account as far as it is concerned. You should be able to fetch mail from all of them into the one gmail account.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

UPDATE: After multiple Emails to and from from my ISP, my Accounts have been 'White-listed'...[still don't really knnow why this was necessary...].... and things seem to have improved greatly.

BUT....

This is a slow period for General and 'Commercial' emailing, so I'll wait until things get back to 'normal', after the Holiday Periods, to see if the improvement is maintained, and go from there.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

FURTHER UPDATE:
It now turns out that my ISP, who appears to have been the cause of all this trouble, has been sold to a larger group, and that everything will be transferred to them 'shortly'.

They don't actually say when. But on enquiring, it also appears that the SITE STUDIO Program that they offer, and which I made 4 websites on, is being NOT transferred, and terminated !

My sites will still be accessible, but no editing, corrections, additions or changes will be possible.

I have told them what I think of this....[ unrepeatable on a classy site like this..].... and am now definitely leaving for a new ISP.

It's as much in protest for everything that's happened in the last few weeks as anything.

But I enjoyed 'sticking it up 'em' !!
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

QUESTION:
I am now changing my ISP [ forced to, really], and DO like the idea of routing emails through GMAIL SYSTEM.

So would it not be beneficial to select an ISP that uses GMAIL as part of their operation ?

I could still use T-BIRD as a Client, as all of these problems I have had seem to be down to the old ISP.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you use a ISP that uses Gmail that will still use their domain in the email address, which means the email address is not portable to a normal Gmail account. They may also impose some limitations on how to manage the account in the webmail user interface. I've seen that occur with several ISPs that use Yahoo.

Why not just use the Gmail account that you can get from Google instead?
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

OK. Understood.

But still need to find a new ISP, so trying to narrow that considerable field.

I thought the above might help, but clearly not so !

I'll keep looking. [There seem to be thousands !!]
And need one that can accommodate, or help adapt my existing websites related to my Domains.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

THE FINAL CHAPTER: A CAUTIONARY TALE.

Although this saga, and my problems are far from over, it is now conclusively apparent that T-BIRD is NOT to blame for any of them.
And as this is a T-BIRD Forum site, it is time for ‘THE LAST POST’ !!

But I will briefly summarize the latest events as a caution to others, if nothing more.

It has now become patently clear to me that my ISPs lack of interest in any of my problems, which it is also apparent are down to them, …… is because the company has been sold, and the ‘transitioning ‘ process has begun.

EIG is the purchasing company, and now controls over 60 web hosting sites. My old one will become part of SITE5…..which, on investigation, is ranked [by some] as number 4032 out of 4048 hosting companies !
[Not the greatest recommendation !!]

Therefore I have decided to leave and find a new ISP.

Far, FAR easier said than done.

Obviously I did some research, and perused many, many ‘web hosting rating’ sites. [All of which it now transpires get ‘kick-backs’ from the companies they recommend !]
They all state that this in no way influences their choices.

‘YEAH -RIGHT ‘!!.... comes to mind. Of course not. Perish the thought. They are only in business as they have nothing else to do !

However, before finding this out I decided to go with SITEGROUND……. Who may well be a good company. But, like many of today’s ‘SCAMTERNET’ companies, they do NOT deliver what they promise.

In my case, they promised, [ after payment of course….]….a ‘painless transition of everything on my old site to theirs by their ‘techies’.
BUT…..this consisted of being pointed to a hundred pre-written and standard ‘Tutorials’…..so the ‘Techies’ actually did nothing.

After a couple of hours I demanded a refund, which was granted – so the only down side is they will have had the use of my money for 7-10 days. That’s OK. Nothing is for nothing, as they say !
However [ nearly finished now….] ….it appears that many, MANY of the web-hosting sites are tarred…..if not with the same brush, at least by brushes made by the same manufacturer !

But I’m still looking !

At least I have a little time, as the ‘wheels’ of the ‘takeover’ seem to roll even slower than those of Trump’s election promises.

So if you find yourself in a similar boat ….be aware of all the above.

And ‘Good Luck’ !!
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Hi. Again !

I know I said that my previous post would be my last on this topic, but much water has flowed since then!

I STILL haven’t found a satisfactory new ISP, where the ‘SUPPORT’ staff don’t seem ‘Robotic’, with much the same Intros, Suggestions and Conclusions, [ all pre-written on a ‘Button’ it seems], and where the prevailing advice on ANY topic is just to point you to [once again, pre-written]…Videos, Documents, Tutorials, and ‘Expert Knowledge’ !!

I’m beginning to wonder if there is actually anyone there at some of these sites.

But more to the point, I do realize that the ‘fight against Spam, spoofing, ID theft, or any of the other names’ is important.

But for me, [ in my experience at any rate,]…. It is counter-productive.
I’m still getting huge amounts of unwanted ‘spam’, and the SPF system that was introduced to prevent this, seems to be stopping lots of ‘legitimate’ emails from getting to me.

So it’s all a total disaster.

I know it’s difficult, when there’s no way of knowing what you haven’t received. Or even what you have sent has not got there…..without asking.
But then the whole process becomes ridiculous. It might be quicker to go back to old fashioned ‘Post’….’Snail-Mail’ as they used to call it.

[Maybe this is all a plot by the Postal Services of the world to recover ‘lost ground’ !]

I’m now being told I have to be entering IP address Numbers into my SPF Records file to ensure receipt !

WHAT NEXT ?????
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you solve your problem?

I'm confused why you are still trying to use your ISP as both a email provider and a web host provider. Web host providers can frequently be used to also provide email but typically require you to learn how to use Cpanel and act as a mail admin, which many people struggle with. Why not use your current ISP as just a ISP, use a free Gmail account for your email (unless you need to use your own domain in the email address, in which case you need the business version - G Suite), and pick a web host provider with a good reputation for customer support, not one that tries to compete mainly on price?
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Yes. I should have 'Updated', but thought you'd probably heard enough from me !
Although I have no proof, I actually think my OLD ISP was the cause of the problem, as they have been taken over by SITE 5, which is part of the EIG mass of companies.
So it seems that the 'old' Support were all fired, and the 'New' support didn't seem to give a damn !
Anyway, I think it was on your recommendation that I looked into, and eventually joined 'INMOTION WEBHOSTING', who have been excellent. Transferred all my Websites with no bother, and my Emails are still with THUNDERBIRD, which were very quickly and easily set up and running.

So everything is going smoothly at present, and thanks so much for your invaluable advice and assistance.
Much appreciated.