Question about quick filter performance

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
tomdkat

Question about quick filter performance

Post by tomdkat »

A friend uses Thunderbird on Windows 10 as the primary email application for her business. She does this mostly at my recommendation. :) Anyway, she's got a LOT (over 1,000 I imagine) of email in her inbox and I noticed it sometimes takes a while for the quick filter function to work. When clicking the "filter by" criteria ("Recipients", "Subject", and "Body") to exclude those from the filter, Thunderbird appeared to "hang" such that those items remained selected and we got into a pattern of accidentally re-selecting them because we kept clicking. lol

In any event, is there anything we can do to keep quick filter performance optimal?

In the case I described above, she couldn't find a message she needed because she didn't remember who sent it. So, when I showed her how to use the quick filter, we were able to find the message in about a minute (including the time spent dealing with the quick filter "filter by" criteria.

Thanks in advance!

Peace...
DanRaisch

Re: Question about quick filter performance

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

Thanks for the reply. The account is setup to use IMAP, so that explains the performance issue we noticed.

Thanks!

Peace...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Just to rule this out as a factor, try backing up your Thunderbird Profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup then compact all folders. If 'compacting' them (and leaving a long enough time for the process to complete) doesn't fully resolve the problem then do the following on each account:

Close Thunderbird. Find and delete all of the files with the .msf file extension in your profile folder/Mail http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder#Thunderbird including your Local Folders, especially if you are using the global inbox. You must have "View hidden files and folders" on http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272 and you need to set "hide extensions for known file types" off (just below View Hidden) if you are using Windows. These are your mail summary files and do not hold any messages themselves. They will be rebuilt the next time you open each folder in Thunderbird. Compact all your folders when you have completed this.
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

Thanks for the additional information! I'll do what you recommend and will report back here. :)

Thanks again!

Peace...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.