FileLink and Thunderbird 52+

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
tomdkat

FileLink and Thunderbird 52+

Post by tomdkat »

Hi! I'm interested in setting up FileLink in Thunderbird 52+. When I look at the FileLink Thunderbird add-ons, I see only two are available for Thunderbird 52:
  • MEGA
  • NextCloud
Has anyone had any experience with either service (MEGA or NextCloud)? I would be setting this up for someone who needs to send large legal documents, mostly PDF files, to clients. So, security would be of the utmost importance.

The MEGA service appears to offer great security, encryption, etc. If I went the NextCloud route, I would probably set something up in our current shared webspace. I would create a sub-domain and use that for FileLink stuff.

At this point, I"m not asking for help in getting this setup. I'm asking if anyone has any experience with either service and if so, what has that experience been.

I've read the "FileLink for Large Attachments" article and unfortunately, most of the providers listed don't have add-ons compatible with Thunderbird 52.

Thanks in advance!

Peace...
tanstaafl

Re: FileLink and Thunderbird 52+

Post by tanstaafl »

I'd avoid Mega since they're targeting a different type of user, and even if it was safe using it would make you look unprofessional IMHO. Do you really want to be using a site known mainly for copyright infringements?

I never heard of NextCloud before but their statements about HPIAA, GDRR compliance and auditing compliance seems like they're a much better fit. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ne ... ed-update/ talks about "Support for Kerberos authentication and two-factor authentication providers based on Universal 2nd Factor and time-based one-time password" . I'd look into using some sort of two factor authentication (such as Yubikey, not a code sent via SMS to a smartphone) if security is of the utmost importance.

Docusign seems to be heavily used by the real estate industry for both sharing and signing legal documents. I suggest you see if there Is a similar service that targets your industry, and if you've overlooked some requirements. Securely send for example also supports traceability and receipts.
tomdkat

Re: FileLink and Thunderbird 52+

Post by tomdkat »

Hi! Sorry for the delayed response and THANK YOU for the great information! Your point about MEGA is well taken. :) Your point about DocuSign is excellent. I don't know why I didn't think about that before, since we use a similar service at my job.

For now, I ended up getting a Western Digital "MyCloud" NAS and that's working well, including remote access over the Internet. However, I will investigate NextCloud if I can get that working with Thunderbird's FileLink feature. I think that would be a cleaner approach for sending documents to colleagues or clients, for review.

Thanks again!

Peace...