Thunderbird will not accept my second gmail account

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
knuckles1

Thunderbird will not accept my second gmail account

Post by knuckles1 »

I put all the right info. in but says wrong account or password. It never did this before. Do I need to go back to an older build? It accepted my first gmail account. Stumped here!
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird will not accept my second gmail account

Post by tanstaafl »

The new account wizard expects each account to be a unique combination of the account type (IMAP/POP), username and mail server name. I am skeptical that you are running into a bug, its probably a configuration problem. Gmail is tricky to setup due to all of its nonstandard features. The problem might be as simple as you need to enable "Allow to let less secure apps access your Google account" in your google account using a browser. That will cause a login to fail, frequently with a misleading error.

If you don't have a strong preference I suggest you use a IMAP account and use OAuth2 for authentication. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail

I suggest before you try again that you log into gmail webmail. That will give you the opportunity to eliminate a captcha if one was set (Thunderbird doesn't know how to deal with captchas) and configure the gmail webmail settings as needed to enable IMAP etc.