Copy sent mail into local folder

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Tely

Copy sent mail into local folder

Post by Tely »

I use gmail and just finished setting up IMAP in TB. I was able to make a filter send a copy of all incoming emails to local folder.

I only send/reply to emails using a browser. How do I automatically have "sent emails" copied to local folder using TB?
DanRaisch

Re: Copy sent mail into local folder

Post by DanRaisch »

You can do that by creating another filter in Thunderbird but you will have to trigger that filter manually. Thunderbird's filters only work automatically on new messages being received into the Thunderbird Inbox folder.

Given that you are accessing Gmail as an IMAP type account, the Sent messages should be available to you in the Sent folder in Thunderbird. Create a filter that will be run manually on the Sent folder of that Gmail account, with one criteria as "From"+"is"+"your Gmail address" and a second criteria that will ensure that the filter only copies messages not previously copied. That might be based on age if you run the filter every N days. The action would be "Copy message to" and the target the "Sent" folder under "Local Folders". Run that filter as often as necessary based on the "Age" criteria.

It might be helpful if we understood the reason for this particular usage model.
Tely

Post by Tely »

Thanks for the reply.

Manually running filters won't work for me... I guess I'll just move back to POP.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Using POP won't help you if you are using only a browser to access the web mail page to send messages.