Thunderbird Version For Windows 2000

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
D.Dancer

Thunderbird Version For Windows 2000

Post by D.Dancer »

And now for something completely different.

I have been upgrading several of my W2K workstations to W10, and have an interesting need to find another email client for the resulting machines other than Outlook Express.

Which is where things now get interesting.

I've been doing Thunderbird on all my machines, and up until these machines, transferring mail from OE to TB was not a big issue, but these machine have multiple accounts in addition to numerous mail rules and folders that need to be transferred as well.

So, my thought is to prepare the upgrade on the email by first installing TB on the machines, and using that TB as a base start to get the transfer of the email, accounts, mail rules, and folders of the OE into them.

Then upgrade the machine, then upgrade TB, hence keeping my complex rules in place.

So, anywhere I can find a TB that will run in W2K ?

Don't knock the W2K machines, they tend to have uptime measured in orbital revolutions around the sun. Going to miss that feature.
Last edited by D.Dancer on May 29th, 2018, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Re: Thunderbird Version For Windows 2000

Post by Brummelchen »

the problem will be that a) your filters can not be transfered as expected because each mailer has its own data format. the next b) would be, that any thunderbird after builds for w2k could drop that settings because thunderbird has improved and changed - in special when you achieved to to transfer filter settings with an extension which is no longer usable in newer builds or extension has been gone long before.

one major issue is that TB dont can collect email accounts in locale accounts, not by default.
i have dropped TB with version 1 and thats really long ago, because of limitations, because of bugs - and because of data loss while that time.
D.Dancer

Post by D.Dancer »

Brummelchen wrote:the problem will be that a) your filters can not be transfered as expected because each mailer has its own data format. the next b) would be, that any thunderbird after builds for w2k could drop that settings because thunderbird has improved and changed - in special when you achieved to to transfer filter settings with an extension which is no longer usable in newer builds or extension has been gone long before.
My Apologies, see correction above [ filters == mail rules ]

one major issue is that TB dont can collect email accounts in locale accounts, not by default.
i have dropped TB with version 1 and thats really long ago, because of limitations, because of bugs - and because of data loss while that time.
So why, then, did you bother posting anything?
James

Post by James »

Thunderbird 13.0 and Firefox 13.0 and later versions required Windows XP at minimum. Fx 12.0 and Tb 12.0 were the last Releases that still ran on Windows 2000 ...without doing any OS fixes.

Not sure if this method still works and how current you can use for Thunderbird and Fiirefox if you can do the OS fixes.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2482475

https://website-archive.mozilla.org/www ... uirements/
https://website-archive.mozilla.org/www ... uirements/
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://download-origin.cdn.mozilla.net/ ... 12.0.1.exe is the setup program for the english/usa version of Thunderbird 12.0.1 under Windows . Or find a different build per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

So why, ... posting anything?
to prepare you for possible data loss.
like firefox it is ok when the upgrade steps wont be large.
upgrading anything from TB v12 straight to v52 i would say that data loss is high possible.
there were files that were converted for a period, but after they were ignored. TB would do same.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"upgrading anything from TB v12 straight to v52 i would say that data loss is high possible."

I used 52.*, 45.8.0 and 1.5.0.12 with the same profile a couple of months ago to help somebody who wanted to upgrade from 1.5.0.12 to a relatively recent version. It caused some hassles due to add-ons not being compatible and passwords being stored in different files but I never lost any messages when switching between the various versions.

Version 12.* can produce summary files (*.msf) that other versions can't read when using mail filters with POP accounts. I have never ran into that since I get most of my new mail in IMAP accounts. If that happens use the "repair folder" button in the inbox's properties.