2 section not 3

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Paul905

2 section not 3

Post by Paul905 »

Hello... How can I change how I view my emails? At the moment when I start Thunderbird, there is 3 section, on the left has the usually Inbox, Trash, Send and so on. Beside that on the right are all the emails and below that, if I click on any email it will get shown. Is there a way just to have 2 section, similar to Gmail. You have the Inbox, Send, Trash and whatever else on the left, also showing how many items on each folder ( Inbox, Send, Trash) And if I click on any of these it will show you all that is in that folder. Again similar to Gmail ... Also, can you make everything bigger? When I start up Thunderbird everything is a little too tiny, how can I make it a little bigger? Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: 2 section not 3

Post by DanRaisch »

You can press F8 or use menu path View->Layout->uncheck "Message Pane" to remove the lower portion (message preview pane) of the right hand side of the main TB window.

As for making things bigger, do you see the same thing if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Paul905

Post by Paul905 »

Thanks for the layout part and now also have the Menu shown... Now sure if I follow you if it's the same size, but if I click on that safe mode link it is a little bigger there. With my browser, I have an extension were by I can set different web pages sizes, thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You shouldn't run in Safe Mode as your regular routine. That's a diagnostic procedure.
See this article if you still need to work on visibility in Thunderbird -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts
Paul905

Post by Paul905 »

Hello... Sorry, but I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. Is there a setting I can use to increase it?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Paul,
The link that Dan posted shows you how to increase the relative text sizes in all locations.....ie; The global UI or whatever you choose to enlarge.
From this page, you will see that you have to create a "chrome" folder in your Profile folder & then add the relevant code to it.
You can adjust the size & text to suit your needs.
For ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css
Note this bit...
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul
This is called the namespace line and you must not alter it. Anything you add later on should always be below it
Please note, that the created chrome folder must be in lower case,
but the "userChrome.css" must have a capital C in it & not a lower case c.

Give it a whirl.....You will not hurt anything if you get anything wrong..
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Paul905

Post by Paul905 »

Hello... I'm an old guy here and I'm not all that tech savvy. Can we take a step by step approach? Where is my profile folder, Is that the C drive?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Paul,
Sorry 'bout that. I should have included the details.
Just take your time with it & all should be well.
Here's the KB article on the Profile folder's location.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

Paul905

Post by Paul905 »

Ok, now that I found this profile folder, do I extract this chrome zip file there?

http://franklion.co.uk/GEN-LINKS/chrome.zip
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Yes.
You can then add the code required, as per Dan's link.
viz; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts

Paul905

Post by Paul905 »

Hi... Please explain I'm supposed to add what where? They didn't create this program very user friendly, huh? Though I do appreciate your help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The information is all in that article. "You can change the font, font size, and other attributes of fonts used in the folder pane, message-list pane, menus, and elsewhere in the user interface (UI). To do so, add the relevant code shown below into your userChrome.css file, making adjustments as desired to suit your own font preferences."

The link to the "userChrome.css" file leads to this information http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css#Creating
Paul905

Post by Paul905 »

Hi again ... So let me see if I understand you, please keep in mind I'm 63 years old. This Thunderbird has no tab or function or whatever its call to make the program bigger, is this correct? That page where you guys want me to go makes no sense to me, sorry. I'm just a basic computer user, I know a little but not much more than that. I been using Firefox for about a year now and thought their email program must be pretty good since I like Firefox, but boy ol boy it sure doesn't look that way. I'm sure its easy for you young folks, not so much for us older folks. Again thank you for your help
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm sure its easy for you young folks, not so much for us older folks.
OK, but I'm older than you are.

TB does have tabs. You can right click on a message in the list display and use context menu option "Open message in new tab" or "Open message in new window".
The information posted above would allow the user to adjust the size of the font (characters) in the message list display and other areas of the user interface.
Paul905

Post by Paul905 »

Well, it seems my nephew mention to me that I have to use notepad and do some sore of coding thing which I don't care to do or want to learn. I like to keep it simple. I don't get Thunderbird developers, they couldn't just add to there many options a tab that allows the screen to be increased and I'm surprised its not there, but hey that's their choice and in the end it's take it or leave it, which is exactly what I'm doing uninstalling it. I have found an alternative which is good enough for what I need, and it might even be better. I'm using MailFense, and so far it looks really nice. So, I want to thank you here for your help and support and all the best, thanks

PS: I hope it's not true that Mozilla isn't going to survive much longer ever since version 57. It hasn't been good for Firefox and that Chrome will finish them off. I don't care for Google