How to optimize TB with more than one Gmail account?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Clued2it

How to optimize TB with more than one Gmail account?

Post by Clued2it »

I'm a returning Thunderbird user. I used to use it many years ago with my ISP-provided POP email account until I decided to start using only Gmail accounts.

I would like to set up TB to access more than one Gmail account using IMAP. I'm optimistic that I can make the initial setting up using the relevant Knowledgebase articles. However, before going more deeply into this task I wonder if there is a way to optimize the installation of TB so as to be able to easily access and/or update my email on Gmail given that I'll be using more than one Gmail account. I would appreciate any tips or pointers to suitable extensions etc.

EDIT: I'm running Windows 10 Pro v.1803 Build 17134.228.
DanRaisch

Re: How to optimize TB with more than one Gmail account?

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm not really sure what the question is. Thunderbird can accommodate multiple email accounts from multiple providers or a single provider, including Gmail. As long as each account has a unique user name (email address) they can all be run from one profile.

Have you had some particular problem when trying to access multiple Gmail accounts through Thunderbird?
Clued2it

Post by Clued2it »

My question is about any configuration facility for example as regards viewing emails from all accounts in a consolidated (unified) form or other such conveniences.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. With multiple email accounts in Thunderbird you will have a left hand "Folder" pane that shows the accounts and their respective folders.

2. What you see in Thunderbird from an IMAP account is what is actually on the server, and since each IMAP account is separate on the server, that's the way they are maintained in TB. You could use the Unified Folders view but that really just lists all Inbox folders together, followed by all Draft folders, etc. It doesn't actually combine the contents of those IMAP folders into one folder in Thunderbird but might be close to what you seek.
Clued2it

Post by Clued2it »

Many thanks for the reply. What you describe may be what I’m looking for.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Setting the View to Unified Folders can be overkill if all you want is a unified inbox. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox - it lists several alternatives to configuring a global inbox for POP accounts, that will work with IMAP accounts. Creating a virtual folder (via saved search - a very misleading name for that feature) that acts as if it contained a copy of all of your accounts inbox folders might work well.
Clued2it

Post by Clued2it »

Thanks. I’ll most certainly consider these options too. Great flexibility by Thunderbird.